LFO modulating destination with 0% amount

• Hey guys! Frequently I assign LFO's to different destinations as its basic functionality, Initially all of the LFO's start out with 0 % amount, when I scroll through the destinations however I hear the the targets are obviously becoming modulated. Is this a bug or is my understanding of the function incorrect?
    Any reply would be much appreciated!
    Thanks

• Some LFO destinations are pre-wired, and modulation may also be assigned via the mod matrix.
    If both of these are at 0%, there shouldn't be any LFO modulation.
    Post the patch in question and I'll check it on my Virus.

• Do you mean that once you start scrolling you hear LFO destinations adding up ?
    Or do you mean that you hear the modulations one by one ?

Hello Stache, Thanks for the reply. My question/concern is the fact that I am hearing anything change. Theoretically, if the LFO amount is set to 0%, in my mind, the LFO should be affecting the destination signal 0% but yet that is not the case. As I scroll through the destinations I hear noticeable differences in the patch structure. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

I just read boreg's reply and will post the specific patch info. In all my experiences the LFO destinations were pre-wired to unassigned. I have not checked the mod matrix and did not take this into account, I still wonder why it would affect any destination if it is set to 0% though. Thanks very much.

• You should check the mod matrix for a start it's well possible that it has +63 on the first slot assigned as happens with all INIT patches on the TI.
    Let us know how you get on :)

• Some LFO destinations are pre-wired, and modulation may also be assigned via the mod matrix.
    If both of these are at 0%, there shouldn't be any LFO modulation.
    Post the patch in question and I'll check it on my Virus.

Yes, something I forgot to mention: the amount may be set at 0%, but another modulator may affect the modulation amount.

OK, it just happened again, I spent about 30 minutes on a bass patch, I went to modulate it with an LFO, the default value is 0, the second I scrolled through the destinations it completely fubar'ed the patch. The patch was Digital Category "Ritchie SV". basically, just mess with a bunch of knobs and change the patch around then enter the LFO menu with 0 amount and change the destination.

• The only place I know where you can change destinations of modulators is in the Modulation Matrix.
    I don't understand how you can change the "destiation" in the LFO menu?
    And, are you talking about the menu in the hardware, or in the Virus Control?

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• The only place I know where you can change destinations of modulators is in the Modulation Matrix.
    I don't understand how you can change the "destiation" in the LFO menu?
    And, are you talking about the menu in the hardware, or in the Virus Control?…

I am in the EDIT LFO menu where one assigns the target for the LFO to modulate in the hardware menu.

• so you didn't change any destination but just flipped through the LFO Edit pages.

That sounds like a bug to me...

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• so you didn't change any destination but just flipped through the LFO Edit pages.

That sounds like a bug to me...

Yeah, exactly....It seems like a bug because the LFO amount is 0% and the only thing I am changing is the target of the LFO. It is a basic functionality right? A bug in that functionality just doesn't make sense because its so basic so its driving me a little crazy because I think it has to do with my ignorance of the product even though I've spent quite a few hundred hours on the machine so far.
    I have two theories so far..
    1. Could it be that the LFO is not actually at 0% but set to another value that I need to "snap" to with the knob behavior set to knob, maybe the LFO is actually not 0% that is the only way I see possible that the targets would all change as I scroll through them..I can't be the only one with this issue either, I didn't find anything in the forum though. ?( So basically the LFO amount is not displaying the correct modulation amount when it is displaying 0.
    2. My second guess is this, I am sequencing a virus desktop with a cirklon midi sequencer, Could I be sending some extranneous data in the form of midi CC or mod wheel data, telling the virus ti2 to change LFO amounts while browsing to that page? This seems not likely at all, because it only happens when I am in the LFO edit page changing the destinations.

Thanks for any help, I have messed up many a patch browsing for an LFO target.

• Alright, here are my 2 cents for you...

1. connect your virus to your daw using the TI software. Disable/disconnect all your other midi devices, including the keyboard and the cirklon. Load an INIT patch, and set OSC balance all the way to OSC 1 so that only OSC 1 is audible.
    2. Set filter balance all the way to the left, so that only filter 1 is audible.

Press a key with your mouse within your daw, you should be hearing a static saw wave. Please confirm.

Can you still hear an lfo going on? If yes, can you identify what is going on in the sound, i.e. which lfo is NOT actually zero?

Move a bit the filter cutoff 1 value on the LFO page from the software AND from the machine. Are the values being displayed the same?

Let us know :)

• Yeah, exactly....It seems like a bug because the LFO amount is 0% and the only thing I am changing is the target of the LFO.

By flipping through the LFO pages you are *not* changing the target of the LFO. You are just viewing the values for different targets. However, the soft knobs become active to edit the values for those targets. And they could be assigned to receive MIDI CC messages, I think.

• By flipping through the LFO pages you are *not* changing the target of the LFO. You are just viewing the values for different targets. However, the soft knobs become active to edit the values for those targets. And they could be assigned to receive MIDI CC messages, I think.

OK this got a bit confused, The thing I am changing is the LFO target assign, I am scrolling through the LFO targets, not the edit pages of the LFO.

• OK this got a bit confused, The thing I am changing is the LFO target assign, I am scrolling through the LFO targets, not the edit pages of the LFO.

Thanks for the clarificaiton. Now I know how to try to replicate what you're hearing.