Virus randomly goes off and makes a siren noise

• Good day,

I'm using my Darkstar as my interface and its been working perfectly but I've encountered a strange problem. My virus seems to go off randomly (display blanks out) and I get this loopy siren noise coming from my speakers. It does not happen often but its quite disturbing. Its been happening at night and I tend to stumble out of bed to run and switch my monitors off to get rid of the noise. If I switch them back on the noise is still there. Only when I remove the virus' power cable does the noise disappear. When I reinsert the power cable it only powers on after the 3rd or 4th attempt and everything seems to be back to normal. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

• Hi Stache,

Thank you for getting back to me. I'm using Windows 7. I'm at work currently... I have a suspicion that I'm running the latest update but hopefully I'm wrong. Will check as soon as I get home and reply to this read/access support.

• "Your Virus TI is up to date.

Currently installed version: 5.1.1.0
    Will update to: 5.1.1.0"

I have reinstalled the OS and will see if the problem persists. If I get the sound again I will make a recording of it and send it through together with my problem description to Access Support. I hope it doesn't do it because its a damn terrible noise!

If anyone has any other ideas I am open to suggestions in the mean time.

• With you stumbling out of the bed, am I correct to understand that your virus is also turned on autonomously? If that happened to me, the first thing I would check is the power cable...try feeding your virus from a completely different power source (preferably from another wall!) and let us know your findings. Have the USB off as well - have your virus connected only with power cable and listen to it via headphones...keep master volume down :)

M.

• Zitat

It does not happen often but its quite disturbing. Its been happening at night and I tend to stumble out of bed to run and switch my monitors off to get rid of the noise.

:D this one made my day ;) --> "Kill The Noize"

test your Power Adaptor - messure the output with a meter if your able to do this.
    if not go to an electrician and let test your Power Adaptor

• Hi guys,

Thanks for your feedback! Psylence - no. I normally leave my PC idling with the virus connected for days on end.

I think its possible you are correct about the power issue. I'm feeding power for my monitors, screen, virus and PC all from the same wall socket using a surge protected multi-plug adapter. I had issues before and was advised to purchase a powered USB hub for connecting the USB cable to my computer. I will consider testing the adapter if the problem persists...

Have a great day!

• How about stop wasting energy and switch everything off when you're not using it?!

Regarding the noise: That's most probably the noise the Virus TI produces when the sound engine crashes due to CPU overload. I had that happen on a rare occasion when fiddling around with the patch audition function. Maybe idling for many hours will yield the same result. Maybe some sort of buffer overflow...

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+