Question about MIDI sync

• Hi, folks, another noob question, here.

I use my TI Desktop with a keyboard controller, but I also want to have it synced with my Korg Minilogue with the TI being the Master (although, if not possible, I can also use the ML for the master). The ML doesn't have a MIDI thru port, just in and out. The controller I use for the Virus just has outs. Is there a way I can still do this? Would I sent the out of the Minilogue into the MIDI thru? Please note, I'm not talking about how to do this with a DAW, I'm talking about for a live situation.

Thanks.

• keep in mind if you have connected your Virus with USB, Midi on does not work. i tried this at this day.

KB (midi out) => Virus (midi in) - with connect USB to my Mac - does not work

KB (midi out) => Virus (midi in) - without USB - works perfect

• Okay, so I did this, and now my controller is playing the ML instead of the Virus. Not sure what you mean by "changing global channel on the midi KB. " I can pick 1-16, not some sort of global thing on this one. I just want to sync the time.

• OK i got it running with both synths just to make sure. My setup midi-wise is as above, but with my virus not usb connected (sorry!).

As you probably know, on each (digital?) synth, each "part/patch" is usually represented by a midi channel number, as a "listening" port. On the Virus, part 1 is midi channel 1, part 2 is midi channel 2 and so on. This is the case when the virus is on multi-single and multi mode. On single mode the default midi channel is 1, but you can change that under Config under midi settings page 1/3 (global channel).

I'm not sure about the midi on ML cause it's unitimberal and analogue. I would firstly link only the ML to the keyboard to find out the midi channel it listens to - in any case, some homework for you here!

Then, you have to change the midi channel on your keyboard to represent the part/synth you wish to play with (i.e. to send midi signal to the wished "listening" port. In my case I have the Nord assigned with midi channels 1-4 (it's 4 part multimberal) and this is configured in my Nord midi settings. So if I set my kb to play midi channel 2 I know I will be playing the 2nd part of the Nord. If I set it to channel 10, I will be playing the 10th of the virus.

Please note I'm not a keyboardist or a live player and there might be an easier or more live-friendly way to achieve what you seek for.

In any case please let me know if the above is sufficient or if more help is needed and I will do my best!

• I ended up having to send my Virus back (I bought it used, and it has a lot of problems), but I have a new one coming, so I'll try this out, when I get it. When you say "the keyboard", you mean the controller I use for the Virus, not the keyboard on the Minilogue, right?

• I ended up having to send my Virus back (I bought it used, and it has a lot of problems), but I have a new one coming, so I'll try this out, when I get it. When you say "the keyboard", you mean the controller I use for the Virus, not the keyboard on the Minilogue, right?

Damn, that's bad luck. Hope the replacement is a pristine model. I am enjoying your posts, learning a lot from the questions you're asking.

Mac OSX Yosemite

• Well, I got my new one, it's pristine, and after a few hours, have all of my ROMS and multis back. I did what you said, Since the keys I use for my Virus are mapped for 1, 2, 3, I set the ML at ch. 4. So I definitely have them playing separate. Have ML set to recieve, and the Virus set for send. I have it working, but I ended up having to go midi out, not thru, from the Virus.

Thanks!