Virus TI2 freezes when patch too complex.

• Hi,

This is a weird issue, and I'm hoping I'm not alone on this.
    I have had the virus for almost 2 years and have occasionally encountered this issue, depending on the patch. Instead of the usual running out of voices and audio cut outs etc i either get one of two things that happen...

1. My virus created a high pitch sound for a split second and then freezes. No audio and frozen led activity. At this point i need to unplug power to get it fired up and making noise again.
    2. Cubase crashes unexpectedly, when working on the virus patch or midi part.

The reason i know this is the culprit is because whenever i load up projects with not much TI action happening, it works flawlessly, without crashing or freezing. I have already contacted support in the past and have tested the demo project they provided, which worked without hiccups, but am wondering is this actually a common behaviour when running out of dsp?

Cheers

• I have had this, both using TI, and without. I have had this on even pretty basic patches also. high pitch sound and bpm light freezes, that the panic button or powering off won't stop. The only way to get around it is unpluggging the power, and power up again.
    I've seen others have the same problems online and heard about it before. Not sure how to overcome it but my monitors don't like it much when it happens. The virus also goes silent in multi mode if you run out of voices this is apparently normal behaviour there is posts about this online.
    Sorry I can't be more help
    some vids I found on YouTube of similar crashes When I was researching this myself

Externer Inhalt m.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Externer Inhalt m.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• Hi Zeusweiler,

Thanks for your input, i was considering using it without the TI functionality to see if it made a difference but now i won't need to test that.
    It does seem like there is a dsp crash happening though, maybe we can get an official answer to this from Marc or someone else from access?

EDIT: I can confirm it also happens without maxing the DSP, a patch i had created used roughly half the dsp and in multi mode with the TI caused constant crashing of the hardware...now i am totally stumped as to what could be the issue.

• I get it now and again it's not a frequent thing, it doesn't happen very often at all. Just out of curiosity how old is your virus ? My one is around two years old however hasn't had much use in that time. When I first heard it happen I thought oh! Hope this isn't a hardware issue but I'm pretty confident this is some sort of DSP crash, I've had it happen in single mode more than multi. But I guess I use it more in single it seems to happen when something is added to the patch, I've had it on a patch while changing the character and on another when adding a wavetable to osc 2, it's happened a few times before . It's not overloading some of the patches have been quite basic at times when it has happened.

• Well, for me atlas it depends on the patch. The current project is crashing very frequently when i try and edit midi parts and work in multi mode (i only work in multi with the TI) and it seems to happen randomly but frequent. So much so that it is hindering my workflow quite a lot.
    I used to own a virus previously but sold it on as i moved country, but bought a second hand one and have had it for a atlas 2 years. From my judgment this TI2 is roughly 5-6 years old but wasn't the previous owner had it packed away for atlas 3 of those years.

I think your right it is a dsp glitch, or at least im hoping they can fix this with a software update. Probably shouldn't get my hopes up... If it's a faulty virus, thats fine at least i know and i can buy another, but its hard to troubleshoot this when it is so random and i don't know the exact cause.

• I know it won´t help you much, but I´ve never have such a thing on my TI2 Desktop yet. So I don´t hink this is software related but something like a faulty hardware or a DSP glitch. I´ve tried to max out my TI2 several times with most complex sounds to see how many voices I´ll get out of it, but it never crashed.

• I guess I feel a little better about this that I'm not alone, but with my warranty up in the next two weeks and having already contacted support a few times on the issue, with no explanation or resolve. I would like to see someone from access step in on the thread and contribute more than the usual please contact support reply, which I have already done several times. I'm not even using TI. They must have seen a virus in the past with this problem I'm thinking, and have some sort of idea of what causes it, faulty batch of components etc or software bug.

• The Snow that I bought second hand last month does the same thing (in standalone, not just TI mode). I generally run it in Single mode and it never does it with mono patches like basses or leads and seldom with patches that use lower amounts of DSP resources - it's usually with more DSP-hungry patches when polyphony is exceeded.

There was another thread from 3 or 4 years ago where a Snow purchaser had the same problem. When he contacted Access, their response was that frequent freezing was not normal behavior and was indicative of a hardware problem. He had it replaced and said the new unit did not exhibit this behavior. I had a Snow once before back in 2008 and it never did this either. In that same thread, another poster noted he had gone through three new TI2 Desktops and all of them were doing this as well (he finally just went with a used TI1).

If your warranty is still in effect, be persistent and get an answer before it expires. Not much I can do - mine was manufactured in 2015 but I'm not the original owner (who I gather must have just figured it was normal for a Virus to behave like this, otherwise you'd think they would have had it replaced under warranty rather than living with the issue and then passing it along to me).

• It seems it's not an isolated issue as they would have you believe. At least in my case when i contacted support they made it out to sound as if i was doing something wrong or maybe there was another (third party plug in) causing the issue.

Can we please get an answer from Tech support regarding what the possible issue could be?

• It seems it's not an isolated issue as they would have you believe. At least in my case when i contacted support they made it out to sound as if i was doing something wrong or maybe there was another (third party plug in) causing the issue.

Can we please get an answer from Tech support regarding what the possible issue could be?

Did u get an response from support mate as to what would be the issue ?, my virus snow doesn't seem to be doing it at the moment we will see.

• Hi, Yes i did and in my case it was NI kontakt and battery causing some cpu asio spikes that only seemed to be affecting the virus and causing it to cut out. So in my case, any demanding plug in will cause the virus ti to crash and reset because it is external and has to wait for cpu resources.

I have not tried the virus ti in stand alone mode, but i did remove the plug ins causing spikes and the virus control software ran without hiccups.

Hope this helps.

• Hi, Yes i did and in my case it was NI kontakt and battery causing some cpu asio spikes that only seemed to be affecting the virus and causing it to cut out. So in my case, any demanding plug in will cause the virus ti to crash and reset because it is external and has to wait for cpu resources.

simply not true. the virus (hardware) doesn't even know if your computer is taxed or idle. nothing has to wait for "CPU resources" here.

• Apologies if i misunderstood the email. this is the email explanation i received.

"Any timing issue (even just so slightly) caused by any plugin/device can throw of the TI, since any delay of USB data packages to/from the TI can throw it off, since the TI is not rendered on the internal CPU of the computer. So if a plugin with big CPU requirements causes an ASIO hiccup, the TI might be the first to suffer from this, since it is an external device that transfers its signals back into a DAW via USB and again its not rendered on the internal CPU, so for it to catch up will most likely require the DAW to be stopped and restarted."

• So your saying that my crashing issue shouldn't happen in my case regardless of ASIO or other VST's? Starting a new project and working fresh, the virus control has no issues. Later on, when a lot more plug ins are loaded, thats when the crashes begin...Does this sound like software or hardware related? forcing me to unplug my virus everytime this happens (to me) sounds like hardware, but i was surprised with the diagnostics i performed. Removing the heavy cpu load vet and it works as normal again.

• So your saying that my crashing issue shouldn't happen in my case regardless of ASIO or other VST's? Starting a new project and working fresh, the virus control has no issues. Later on, when a lot more plug ins are loaded, thats when the crashes begin...Does this sound like software or hardware related? forcing me to unplug my virus everytime this happens (to me) sounds like hardware, but i was surprised with the diagnostics i performed. Removing the heavy cpu load vet and it works as normal again.

i've never seen something like this. you should contact support and work with them on a solution. at least provide crash reports so we get a better picture of what happens.

• Hi Marc, the problem is there are no software crashes or vst crashes. It happens on the hardware. It distorts loudly for a split second then freezes,especially when the project is loaded. So getting a crash report would be kind of tricky in this case. Support have asked me to give them the blank project to test the patches etc but i did my own trouble shooting and loading the patches on a new project without issue and it continued to work for a few hours, when i left it running in a loop. This is why it's a weird issue my one and seems like it would be a pain to replicate on another machine, unless you also have my actual virus ti2 desktop there to run tests on.