[Bug] Virus Control shortens notes in Cubase 8.5

• Sometimes after working fine for a while, Virus Control all of a sudden shortens the notes sent to the Virus TI by a considerable amount. It is most obvious with legato lines on Mono synths (which are no more legato) and fast sequenced lines (which turn into unnatural staccatos).

When switching to "Live" mode, VC sends the note off at proper position again - but introduces audible timing inaccuracies.
    Sometimes VC heals itself after a while but normally I have to reload VC in order to have get proper timing back.

TI OS 5.1.3.0
    Cubase 8.5.15
    Mac OS 10.11.6

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• I think Cubase is on 8.5.20, isn't it? I'd hazard a guess that this is a Cubase issue, rather than a Virus issue. Newer version might help.

Thanks, already updated today. Didn't find anything in the release notes regarding a fix for VST timing.
    However, it happens only with VC and no other VST Synth plugins. Seems to me like VC problem.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• I can't reproduce anything like this.

However, when I was on OSX 10.11, I had various problems with USB audio streaming devices. Especially with the Elektron Overbridge units.

MacOS 10.12 (Sierra) cleared up those issues.

Several companies have stated that El Capitan has known issues with USB streaming audio. I wonder if there's a chance you might be hitting something related?

• I don't think this is related to audio streaming at all. It's audible that the MIDI notes which the Virus Control (VST) sends to the Virus (Synth Hardware) are shorter than they should. It's obvious that the note information is wrong, because characteristic behavior of mono sounds like glides do not happen anymore. The audio itself is fine.

• ...but if the audio data is chewing up too much bandwidth and is given priority, it could get in the way of the MIDI data.

How? The audio stream from the Virus to the DAW is always the same. And if, wouldn't it then just drop events or be lagging instead of shortening notes?

BTW, I just had it happen today, with the latest version of Cubase.

• Man, i have had this issue as long as i have owned my Virus (since 2011). All versions of Cubase have done it from version 6 to 9.5 and there Is there is still no solution...

Is this limited to Cubase and the VC control plug in? Can anyone with Ableton or logic try it out. The only way around it is if i change the midi number and reload the preset on that channel or remove the VC plugin or restart Cubase.

• According to my (admittedly rather little) experience with Logic, it doesn't happen there. There are other quirks that may happen when looping sections and using arpeggiators, but the note lengths seems to stay correct.

Now, the VC plugin runs as VST3 in Cubase and as AU in Logic. Therefore the problem might actually be connected to the plugin platform.

Thus it would be interesting to read from Ableton users, who can load both types of plugins.

• I just started a new project and am getting the same damn issue...Doesn't look like there is any one here pitching in or having the same issue? I am not keeping my hopes up for a fix either. Maybe we should be howling at Steinberg? Seeing as i have had this issue on three different virus TI and TI2's i have owned, across multiple computers, os' and Cubase 6 all the way up to 9.5.

I'm surprised other users haven't reported this to be an issue, I would of thought it would be a widespread issue.

• Maybe we should be howling at Steinberg? Seeing as i have had this issue on three different virus TI and TI2's i have owned, across multiple computers, os' and Cubase 6 all the way up to 9.5.

I'm surprised other users haven't reported this to be an issue, I would of thought it would be a widespread issue.

Me too.

While doing more work in Logic in the recent weeks, I never ran into this problem. Also, during rendering (or bouncing) I didn‘t run into any of the well known problems in Cubase such as incorrect timing, arpeggiators misbehaving and frozen LFOs.

So, it‘s definitely related to either the VST framework/implementation or Cubase.

Did you ever repoert that to Steinberg?

• Hmm I have not reported it to Steinberg because it's the only device that has caused such an issue like this and i have owned many vst and external synths...I thought it would be the latency settings between Cubase and the Virus control... I guess updating to Cubase 10 would be a waste to see if this is still an issue.

Ill have done some previous checks in the Steinberg forums, in regards to Virus TI etc but have not seen any posts about this issue...Ill check it again though as that was a lot of years ago.

• For what it's worth, Cubase does do some things differently to other DAWS.

MIDI on my 3 Hammerfall Multifaces has an issue. Ableton allows me to use the MIDI ports properly, but Cubase gets confused between system reboots as to which port is which and I have to manually re-assign the ports.

When I queried this with Steinberg, they told me that Cubase doesn't support MacOS aggregate audio devices. Aggregation, is the only mechanism I have for combining the 3 Multifaces. It's supported in Ableton, but not Cubase.

• Yeah, i tried Cubase 10 and still the same issue. Couldn't find any other post about this issue on the Steinberg forums either. From memory this also happened on Cubase 8 on my Mac and across all windows versions that i have tried since. Maybe i should raise a request with Steinberg as it seems something on that end is at play here.

• Yeah, i tried Cubase 10 and still the same issue.

Thanks for reporting back. Bummer.

Guess it‘s time to file a bug report with Steinberg then.