Question on Maschine integration

• Maybe I should correct myself. I'm a noob at this. I'm looking to record one track at a time with different sounds. I see that you can load 16 sounds on the left, but when I select them I can not hear them through maschine. I think it's a midi channel thing, but I have no idea how to accomplish this.

• I think the basic concept with using multi timbral VSTs in Maschine would be to load the VST in one slot (e.g. group A sound 1) and the route all the other "sounds" to the first one but on different MIDI channels.

Maybe it helps to search for "using Maschine with Kontakt" because Kontakt is by NI and multi timbral. I guess someone would have made a tutorial for that.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• You bought two phantastic hardware synths, which are made to work like instruments normally do: You play them and record the performance. And they both work great that way if paired with a classic DAW like Logic or Cubase. The Virus TI even offers 16 part multi timbrality and total integration in your DAW... but it doen'st turn your hardware into a VST plugin of which you can use as many instances as you want. However, as I already wrote on the Moog forum: Maschine is a world of its own and has a very different workflow than any other DAWs. It's a groove box "in the box" and mainly made to work with samples and VST plugins.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• I bought my VirusTI 9 years ago. I also bought a Maschine about 4 years ago.

My virus is still in my rig. Maschine... got rid of it 2 years ago.

You didn't buy a paperweight. Don't knock it when it's not the synth that is the issue for what you're trying to accomplish. It's Maschine.

Mac OSX Yosemite

• Yeah thanks. anybody else? would appreciate some help. I'm sort of worried I bought a $2100 paper weight. thank you

Machine is not an officially supported host. Which means, it is lacking features required to use total integration to it's full potential. The last time we've checked, multi-channel plug-ins were not supported. That's the reason why you can only run one channel.

• Yeah I sort of figured out that you can have one instance of virus running in maschine, and I have loaded a bunch of sounds in the TI software, well 4 of them. But I can't figure out how to route these in maschine. I can only get the first sound to play because I don't know how to properly route the different midi channels. I wish I knew what I was doing. This stuff, to me, is very complicated.

• Guys, here's the deal. What I'm trying to do is not overly complicated. If I should get rid of my maschine studio, let me know. I am simply making drum tracks in maschine, have it loaded in Logic X, and I'm using the Virus for synth sounds.

I have a laymens understanding of midi. But before I got the Virus and Moog, I've never touched it in my life. So I assume that if I'm using 4 sounds in the TI software, that's each a midi channel and I need to route them to a sound in a group in maschine on the same midi channel.

Why, in 2016, does this have to be this complicated? Should I toss the maschine? What do others use to make drum sounds? I just spent a sh*t ton on gear and I get very frustrated with trying to hook all this up and get it to work. The songwriting portion is easy.

• Guys, here's the deal. What I'm trying to do is not overly complicated. If I should get rid of my maschine studio, let me know. I am simply making drum tracks in maschine, have it loaded in Logic X, and I'm using the Virus for synth sounds.

you should use Virus Control in Logic. That way you're working with a supported hosts and you'll get more than one channel.

• Zitat

Why, in 2016, does this have to be this complicated? Should I toss the maschine? What do others use to make drum sounds? I just spent a sh*t ton on gear and I get very frustrated with trying to hook all this up and get it to work. The songwriting portion is easy.

what you have to realise is that this is a limitation of the maschine software, and not in anyway the virus at fault here. I tried this setup a few years back with a mk11 maschine (same software version) and logic. I ended up ditching the maschine in the end.
    Don't get me wrong maschine is a very cool inspirational bit of kit for its intended purpose. I had a real eye opener when I realised the free version of live 9 lite I got bundled with my midi keyboard could do pretty much everything maschine could do and more so I grabbed the maschine library of the HD and got rid. You will spend more time trying to justify and working around limitations if you try and produce in maschine
    alone with the virus.
    bottom line is that you could probs do anything maschine could do in any DAW, but not the other way around. You have IMO the best sounding synth on the planet so use it as intended in a supported host or at least one with the features you need studio one for example.
    and don't over complicate things by trying to make things compatible that's aren't fully supported. You could always bounce out of a logic session into maschine or run maschine in logic as a plugin along side the virus
    which would be the better option.
    i think in 2016 you have over complicated things by buying too much gear, take it a step at a time
    and buy stuff if and when you need them. I can't tell you if you should sell your maschine but my advice is uninstall it and use the virus with logic for a while and stick the controller in the cupboard for 3 months and if you don't miss it sell it. Personally I wouldn't sell the virus if it were a choice between the two. As I say the ableton le 9 and a controller could probs compete feature wise with maschine.
    anyways just giving you my thoughts with my experience with a similar setup and hope it helps and good luck with whatever you decide. Your studio must look really cool in the dark
    that's for sure

So you have VC running inside Maschine running inside Logic? If this is the case, then the following is the answer:

you should use Virus Control in Logic. That way you're working with a supported hosts and you'll get more than one channel.

There's no need to run VC inside Maschine if you have Maschine running in Logic!
    Have them running side by side. Both are Multi-Timbral instruments.

I ended up ditching the maschine in the end.

There's way too much Maschine bashing in this thread for me. Maschine is a great product, but it's not a DAW! As already said, it's a very elaborate groove box, running on your computer, with a hardware controller attached. And therefore, it offers a workflow and can do things that DAWs generally can't do! Keep doing your beats in Maschine. Keep writing your synth lines and recording all your other stuff in Logic. Whether you have Maschine running within Logic, or prefer to work with it in standalone mode doesn't matter. That's what I ended up with. The cool thing with that approach is, that for a future live performance it's pretty easy to just use Maschine in standalone for the beats and manually play the synth parts (using the Virus Arpeggiator with User Patterns and the Sub37 Step Sequencer) -- that rocks pretty hard.

• So take maschine out of the equation for now. The issue I'm having now is that I load up virus in logic, I have selected 4 tracks when I load the software plugin. I put 4 different sounds I can hear by selecting either 1,2,3,4 track in logic. The issue is I am trying to get separate volume controls for each. I added 2 additional aux in the mixer section. When I move the volume next to the track, it moves all 4 sliders. How do I get this to be independent of one another.

Sorry guys, I'm not very smart with this stuff.

[Blockierte Grafik: https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15401125_1835095966767632_646409804801409388_n.jpg?oh=a4d26b951101b8ce9254d7339ae83b2e&oe=58ED2970]

• Sounds great, would take me 5 years to figure that out. I'm 46 and I got into this stuff way way too late. Everybody else is an expert, because they've been doing this since 1988. I'm beyond frustrated. I have no friends that are into this stuff and I'm on my own. I'm trying to set this up in logic. I'm watching videos that are 10 years old on youtube that are blurry as hell, in another language with no talking.

• Sounds great, would take me 5 years to figure that out. I'm 46 and I got into this stuff way way too late. Everybody else is an expert, because they've been doing this since 1988. I'm beyond frustrated. I have no friends that are into this stuff and I'm on my own. I'm trying to set this up in logic. I'm watching videos that are 10 years old on youtube that are blurry as hell, in another language with no talking.

I'm 49. Started with Maschine 3 years ago. Added the Sub37 in February and the Virus TI in May. I spendseveral months just figuring out the Virus before I ever tried to use VC with a DAW!

However, I did some MIDI stuff back in the day, using Notator on the Atari ST. Must have been around '86.