No audio output on Virus Ti2

• I have a Ti2 connected to a pa speaker (active) via output 1 Left
    I have an Akai Advance 49 hooked up to the virus. Midi out > Midi in on the virus. Cable is tested and good. No sound. I tried both single and multi mode.
    Midi Global channel is 1, Midi device Id is 1.

Any ideas?

• I have a Ti2 connected to a pa speaker (active) via output 1 Left
    I have an Akai Advance 49 hooked up to the virus. Midi out > Midi in on the virus. Cable is tested and good. No sound. I tried both single and multi mode.
    Midi Global channel is 1, Midi device Id is 1.

Any ideas?

So you're using the Akai for MIDI, couple of things to check here.

1 - Do you hear the virus when you press the keys on the Virus itself (not sure if you have a Ti2 keyboard or desktop version!)
    2 - Does your PC/Mac receive MID from the Akai? Try installing Midi Monitor - which will allow you to easily see any MIDI messages being sent to/from your PC/Mac
    3 - Is the actual patch you're using to try this set to Out 1/2 on the Virus? (Patches can be set to Out1 L/R, USB1 L/R, Out2 L/R, USB2 L/R, Out3 L/R, USB3 L/R)
    4 - Can you get sound out to your PA from your DAW using another synth?

Mac OSX Yosemite

• Man this is ridiculous. FYI, I have a Ti2 Desktop. The Akai has both USB power and an additional Wall wart, you can purchase. Of cource the AC/DC Adapter does not come with the keyboard as it's only a $500 keyboard (rolling eyes).

Anyhow when you use USB power from a computer, it disables the midi port on the keyboard. There's no internal menu option to disable this either.

So basically, you have to run USB power from something like an Iphone wall wart. One of these.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://ep.yimg.com/ay/wearethewirelessboys/original-apple-iphone-6-usb-power-charger-1.gif]

• Man this is ridiculous. FYI, I have a Ti2 Desktop. The Akai has both USB power and an additional Wall wart, you can purchase. Of cource the AC/DC Adapter does not come with the keyboard as it's only a $500 keyboard (rolling eyes).

Anyhow when you use USB power from a computer, it disables the midi port on the keyboard. There's no internal menu option to disable this either.

So basically, you have to run USB power from something like an Iphone wall wart. One of these.

(ignore my previous post - misunderstood you post, sorry)

• what are you talking about? it doesn't disable the MIDI port, it turns the TI into an extra MIDI interface. we assume that when you connect your Virus to a computer you want to send MIDI _from_ the computer. that's of course still possible. and please don't use a power supply on the USB port. you'll damage the Virus.

I didn't understand James' post, either Marc!

Mac OSX Yosemite

• what are you talking about? it doesn't disable the MIDI port, it turns the TI into an extra MIDI interface. we assume that when you connect your Virus to a computer you want to send MIDI _from_ the computer. that's of course still possible. and please don't use a power supply on the USB port. you'll damage the Virus.

I think jamesfarrell was talking about the Akai Advance.

Which brings me back to what I've already mentioned elsewhere: jamesfarrell, IMHO you have added way too much new (phantastic and complex!) gear in a very short time. And on top of learning the basics of synthesis, MIDI and VSTs, you need to learn to operate each piece before you can have them working together in the way you want. There's no easy way out. And nothing will "just work out of the box" the way you expect it to.

But we're here to help ;)

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Just re-read James' last post, and I agree, he is talking about the Akai. From what I can decipher it seems James can now hear his Virus, as the Akai needed external power.

Mac OSX Yosemite

• Yes, I'm talking about the Advance keyboard guys. I have the Virus Ti2 Desktop. The Akai keyboard; when you have it powered via USB, from the computer, it disables the physical midi port on the back of the keyboard. Sweetwater actually sent me a new Virus (mine was a demo) because of this. They couldn't figure out the issue. So for the hell of it, I said, let's power the keyboard via USB from a wall wart and viola, the midi port on the keyboard works.

Yeah I agree guys, but this is how I operate. I sold all my guitar crap (band fizzled) and bought a whole bunch of gear, LOL. I pretty much know how to use it now, from a lay perspective of getting everything to actually work so I can produce music. I just finished my first tune in Logic x with maschine, and the virus. Was a nightmare getting all this figured out and the workflow is not very friendly with the integration of maschine and virus into logic.

You would think this stuff would play nicer with each other in 2016 and been easier to integrate.

• SIDwave,

I doubt this is as simple as you suggest. I have experienced several connection issues with Virus TI, which I've owned for 5 years now. In the meantime I changed laptops and PCs and issues with losing connection happened in each and every PC I had.
    I suppose my Virus TI (limited WHITEOUT edition!) has some factory hardware issue. The issue is about the fact that every 30 minutes or so Virus stops producing sound, neither MIDI signals are being visible to DAW. When I say Virus no more produces sound I mean the sound cannot be even heard from headphone jacket. What helps is Virus needs to be either rebooted, or at least USB needs to be unplugged (rarely helps) or (what really helps) VIRUS needs to be shut down and unplugged from the socket. But even that may not always help. Usually the sound is back but MIDI signals sometimes are not back. So I need to repeat operation until I'm lucky enough.
    In my opinion this is neither normal nor acceptable. And frankly yesterday I raised the ticket to Virus support. And either someone deals with this or I am just going to dump this piece of hardware. For good and forever.

Last but not least: yes, I turned off power savers in BIOS and in windows for all USB ports.