TI Desktop losing voices

• Hi all. I am using my TI Desktop connected to Ableton Live 9 via USB and noticed that each time I try to play pads with 4-5 notes, the TI Desktop cannot consistently reproduce the desired sounds i.e. voices dropping out.

I have tried this on a single MIDI channel with unison, and the RAM icon only shows 2 bars so it's not possible (or is it?) that the TI Desktop is running out of memory. Is this a bug? How can I solve this? ?(

• Try what happens if you shorten the release time of that sound or remove the reverb.

Long releases and reverbs can easily eat up a high number of voices.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Voice steeling has nothing to do with using the USB or Audio outputs. As a test you can attach a keyboard to the Virus, load the same patch in Single Mode and check how it behaves when you play it directly while listening on headphones.

BTW, the indicator you mention is not for RAM but for CPU usage. And as already said, even pads that only use two bars can easily eat up the available voices. Let's assume as calculation reference:

- 5 Notes
    - 3 Chords overlap because of long release tails
    - 2 Note Unison

5 x 3 x 2 = 30 voices.

As you up the Unison amount, you can directly multiply with that.

Edit:

Now, if you have a more complex patch that uses more voices you get:

- 5 Notes
    - 3 Chords overlap because of long release tails
    - 2 Voices per played note (e.g. Analogue Filter)
    - 2 Note Unison

5 x 3 x 2 x 2 = 60 voices.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• Also worth noting that in seq mode, the virus allocates midi channels to every other dsp. If you have a complex sequence that uses all dsp on channel 1, try splitting that into channel 2. The idea is to share the load equally on channel 1 and 2 and utilize both DSPs.

Externer Inhalt soundcloud.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• Also worth noting that in seq mode, the virus allocates midi channels to every other dsp. If you have a complex sequence that uses all dsp on channel 1, try splitting that into channel 2. The idea is to share the load equally on channel 1 and 2 and utilize both DSPs.

This is interesting. How do you know this?

• Externer Inhalt soundcloud.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.