Enable MIDI out while connected via USB (no DAW)

• EDIT: Jan 13th, 2017:
    Simply requesting the feature: Let MIDI out work while connected to USB, please!

Thank you mitchiemash for explaining how to do this below. I still would love to see the MIDI connections work on the virus without having to setup routing thru my DAW. Could this be a global parameter option? My menu free OB6 even has a MIDI option for "USB, MIDI, or Both" I like to believe if an analog synth can do it, a digital synth can have this option added on.

• I confirm this is what happens here too...sort of. I have my virus (Ti2 desktop) connected with both usb and midi. The midi gets disabled only when I load VC. But I'm using a midi keyboard (which essentially is my "centerpiece").

Not sure about the reason midi and usb cant be on at the same time but that 100ms latency you mention (85.33ms here) is a strong candidate.

Now as a workaround - if you must have the editor in front of you at all times, use your virus as midi only with a vst editor. Maybe use VC only when you want to go into sound design mode :)

• If connected to USB, the Virus TI turns into a MIDI (and Audio) interface and has to be used like that: In order to control devices hooked up to the MIDI Out port on the Virus, you have to route MIDI events to that port from within your software (e.g. Logic, Cubase, Ableton Live). I don't remember how it's called exactly, but the Virus provides two MIDI ports over USB: One is called "Synth" (to control the Virus) and the other I think "Midi" (which represents the MIDI Out port on the hardware).

So in order the play your other hardware from your Virus keyboard, you must route the Virus Synth In to the Virus Midi Out from your software.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• So in order the play your other hardware from your Virus keyboard, you must route the Virus Synth In to the Virus Midi Out from your software.

I'm sorry for the delay. This is correct, but somehow routing MIDI thru my DAW while Virus Control is on, adds an extreme, unusable amount of latency. More latency than using the virus via MIDI through my interface without Virus Control on. Very strange. Also I have searched for the '2 midi ports' over usb you mention, and can not find that setting anywhere inside VC.

Simply requesting the feature: Let MIDI out work while connected to USB, please!

• As we said in this thread.

Ti and MIDI

The midi out does work when the Virus is connected via USB but for a different purpose. Imagine the midi connections on the back of the virus as a separate midi unit connected to your PC. The midi out port is now an extra midi out from your DAW to control other hardware. This is the best way for these ports to be utilised in USB mode. They didn't have to include this as a feature in the design but it's really good that they did.

• I'm sorry for the delay. This is correct, but somehow routing MIDI thru my DAW while Virus Control is on, adds an extreme, unusable amount of latency.

Try to put VC in Live mode (button in lower left corner).
    However, I don't think VC should have any impact on MIDI Out timing... (need to try myself)

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Try to put VC in Live mode (button in lower left corner).
    However, I don't think VC should have any impact on MIDI Out timing... (need to try myself)

Wow thank you! I've never even noticed that button before. Any information you can share on what live mode is all about? I'm searching the manual for the word "Live" and can find no mention of it.

• AFAIK, it sacrifices timing accuracy for reduced latency to allow live playing/recording of the Virus via VC. For normal playback VC Live mode should be off.