Osc 1 and 2 sound different

• Hi everyone,
    recently got the TI 2 Desktop and was wondering why OSC 1 and 2 sound a little different when using unison mode, even if the setings for osc 1 and 2 are the same. in my case: classic - sawtooth. seems to occur only when using unison mode and is very apparrent when switching between osc 1 and 2 using the osc balance knob. is there a reason for that? osc 2 is clearly missing the high end frequencies, which are present in osc 1 making it sound a lot more transparent.

Merry Xmas and thanks for replies.

• Could not duplicate here. Both osc sound alike to me. Perhaps your osc 2 is being attenuated somehow yet undiscovered?
    Merry Christmas, also!

• Interesting find I have to admit.

The reason they are not the same is because OSC 2 is slightly detuned by default. Set detuning to 0 OR sync the oscillators to make them sound the same.

If you insist that one osc is missing some frequencies make sure you are not using the filters in split configuration.

• I am pretty sure they are identical when setup exactly the same (detune!). I verified that with an oscilloscope when I started out with the Virus in order to better understand all the available options.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Zitat

Try putting the 'phase init' to 1 in the oscillator common section. This way the waves start from the same place every time

• Thanks for the replies, though im a little bit surprised, that no one noticed this issue before. The setup should be easy to replicate. Use an initialized single preset and set the unison voices to 8 and fade between osc 1 and 2. All other oscillators are turned off. The problem occurs when using saw and square waves btw.

Zitat

The reason they are not the same is because OSC 2 is slightly detuned by default. Set detuning to 0 OR sync the oscillators to make them sound the same.

You can detune or not detune osc 2 in every way you want. Still missing high frequenices in unison mode.

Zitat

If you insist that one osc is missing some frequencies make sure you are not using the filters in split configuration.

I just left it to Serial 4, the way it was. Was that a mistake? :)

Zitat

Try putting the 'phase init' to 1 in the oscillator common section. This way the waves start from the same place every time

You may set it to "off" or to any other value. Does not change anything about osc 2 missing high frequencies.

Zitat

Both osc sound alike to me. Perhaps your osc 2 is being attenuated somehow yet undiscovered?

The question would be "whats left" - since all mod destinations and effects are turned off and effects would affect both oscillators.

I just discovered that the result is (a little bit) affected by the "smooth mode" setting. when you turn it off and play just one single note there is a chance that both oscillators sound identical, if you compare them. when you play two notes at a time, the sound immediately gets messed up. I don't hope i will get the reply that using 8 unison voices and playing two notes at a time will result in a virus sounding dull ...

Do i really have to make a video for everyone to understand?

• set the unison voices to 8

This is new information, and changes the game. Unison introduces a good deal of random changes to the sound for each note. It's quite possible that Access decided to use different pitch randomization for OSC 1 and 2 which may lead to the impression of a duller sound. However, I have to try myself.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Syqmusic, thank you for your comments and clarifications.
    There is a difference indeed between all 3 OSCs soloed, noted throughout the FQ spectrum.

Using init patch:
    -setting OSC1, OSC 2 and OSC 3 to pulse
    -setting unison to 8 voices
    -setting unison detune to 58
    -setting OSC balance all the way to OSC1
    Result is OSC1. png

-setting OSC balance all the way to OSC2
    Result is OSC2. png

-setting OSC balance all the way to OSC1 back again
    -setting OSC1 PW to 100% (muted OSC effect)
    -setting OSC 3 volume to 100
    Result is OSC3 .png

All images taken using the freeze mode of the analyser after holding the same C key for 10 seconds. This means that the frequencies displayed are the loudest that occured in that 10 seconds interval.

More evidently the curve post 10khz on osc1 is "outbound" convex, while on OSC 2 its more "inbound" convex; indeed OSC1 has richer higher frequencies. OSC 3 looks a bit "clumsy" but with overall similar qualities to OSC1.

There is also a very minor difference noted between OSC1 and OSC2 without unison voices but it really is non audible - you literally have to see it to believe it.

I hope I got this right! Please do not ask "why" this is happening, I do not know :)

• I just tried that myself and come to the following conclusion: Unison detune introduces some randomness in a way that if you hit a key ten times in a row, each note will sound slightly different. If you keep hitting the same note with Unison 8 detune 58 you'll hear that sometimes it will sound considerably thinner and sometimes darker. This is due to the initial phase of the voices. If you set Phase Init to a fixed value, every note sounds the same, also if blending between OSC 1 and 2. And there is no difference at all if Unison is off. At least not one I can see or hear.

psylence: what spectrum analyzer did you use? Looks nice!

• If OSC1 and 2 are indeed not exactly the same, then maybe with unison applied this difference/randomness is emphasized. Even "randomness" is coded, which may be applied differently to the OSCs. Naturally I could be wrong!

Regarding initial phase, the above spectra displayed are the loudest that occurred in that 10 seconds interval. By the end of the 10 seconds, thousands of cycles have finished; I don't see how initial phase can affect the end/displayed result. I would like to understand though. Even with initial phase employed, OSC 1 has still louder higher FQs than OSC 2, at least here.

Btw, if it matters, phase initialization is not the same for OSC 1 and 2. For OSC 1, 0=random, any other value it forces the cycle to always start at the middle from the beginning of the cycle. So its more like an on/off button. For OSC 2, 0=random and any other value is the point you would expect a wave cycle to start (like the virus' LFOs).

I didn't want to "advertise" the plugin, although I'm very very happy with it, but since you are asking, it is Fabfilter Pro Q2 :)

• Regarding Initial Phase: Play around with the two OSC with identical settings and change the Init Phase value. I think it will become immediately obvious. Now if you think about doing the same with 8 voices you'll probably also come to the conclusion that two start different sets of initial phases might never produce the same spectrum regardless of how long you wait. Naturally, my logic may be flawed...

However, by now I'd really like to hear/see an example of the OPs "problem", because I don't have the means to do exact spectrum analysis, and I'd really like to know whether I simply don't hear the difference.

• Alright I see your pov. Yes the difference in phase init is obviously there, i'm just not sure how (if) it affects the higher frequencies per OSC. I agree that the spectra will never be the same, especially if randomness exists, but the big picture is there: the OSCs sound slightly different.

Here's how it sounds here:
    https://soundcloud.com/user-37…vs-osc2-access-virus-init

Using init patch:
    -setting unison to 8 voices
    -setting unison detune to 58
    -setting phase init to 1 (so both osc start their wavecycles from the start)

First 4 plays OSC 1 solo
    Then 4 times OSC 2 solo
    Then setting detune from 58 to 0 (unison still = 8 voices)
    First 4 plays OSC 1 solo
    Then 4 times OSC 2

btw its funny how op is not sharing more thoughts but I quite enjoy this conversation :)

• Wow thats crazy. The difference is subtle (to my ears), but it's there. Especially clear with the second example, where OSC 2 sounds definitely darker.