LFO Shape Contour Wave "Zoom"??

• OK, here's another oddity from the manual for Virus TI: For the LFO Contour function for the "Wave" shape selection it states negative values "zoom into wave". Now what is THAT supposed to mean and what should I be listening for?? oliAtBass, you out there? :>) And why didn't Access include a contour function for the main oscillators? That would have been rather nice!
    Thanks and HNY!

• Very interesting! I remember having read that when I started out on the Virus, but I had completely forgot about that by now.

Just did a little experiment to verify the specification in the Reference Manual.
    - Put OSC 1 to sine wave (to focus on the pitch)
    - Set OSC Balance all to OSC 1
    - Put LFO 1 to a sine wave and rate 48
    - Set LFO 1 Trigger Phase to 1 (or 127)
    - Set LFO 1 OSC 1 modulation to about 50% (or higher)
    --> listen: you hear a steady modulation of OSC 1 pitch

- Set LFO 1 to a wave form (Wave 3)
    --> listen: you hear Wave 3 modulating pitch of OSC 1

- Now change LFO 1 Contour to a negative value (e.g. -43)
    --> listen: you hear only the first part of Wave 3 modulating pitch of OSC 1

What's important to remember is that it only works for negative Contour values ("Zooming In"). You can also think of Contour as a control to cut the tail from the wave form.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• I think that the contour behaves a bit differently depending on the LFO shape...Essentially it "skews" the shape.

For example, if you use a triangle LFO, setting contour at the one extreme will make the triangle into a positive ramp; set the contour at the other extreme and it becomes a negative ramp. Now this effect is neither zooming in nor cutting the tail. Unless of course both the tail and the "head" of the wave are being "cut".

It's even more interesting when a square LFO is being used. I think positive contour doesnt do anything (dont have my synth in front of me now) but setting negative contour -like pwm- makes just the "up" part of the lfo last shorter, sort of like the "note length" in the arpeggiator. Assign a square LFO to patch volume and you'll understand better what I'm on about.

In any case contour is a fascinating and maybe neglected parameter I feel..maybe the name "shape" would have been more appropriate? Also exactly here is where I wish the graphic of the LFO wave would get updated in real time, just like in the OSC section...

• Thanks psylence! Some good info there! Mainly I was curious about the effect contour has on the "wave" selection of LFO shapes if you have anything on that also!
    Cheers!

• I think that the contour behaves a bit differently depending on the LFO shape...Essentially it "skews" the shape.

For example, if you use a triangle LFO, setting contour at the one extreme will make the triangle into a positive ramp; set the contour at the other extreme and it becomes a negative ramp. Now this effect is neither zooming in nor cutting the tail. Unless of course both the tail and the "head" of the wave are being "cut".

We were only talking about the LFO Contour applied to the complex wave forms also available for the Classic oscillator
    For Sine, Triangle and Square, the LFO Contour does indeed something different as described in the Reference.

Also exactly here is where I wish the graphic of the LFO wave would get updated in real time, just like in the OSC section...

That would be very nice and help a lot with understanding and properly applying this parameter!

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+