[BUG] FM Mode Wave does not always use the selected wave

• With FM Mode set to "Wave", the modulator is not always the selected wave.

Use these settings to verify:
    - OSC 1 & 2 in Classic mode
    - OSC 1 FM Mode "wave"
    - OSC 1 & 2 with sine wave
    - OSC Balance all the way to OSC 2
    - OSC 1 transpose -48
    - OSC 2 transpose +48
    - Patch transpose -48
    - dial in a small amount of FM (< 10%)

Now change the wave form of OSC 1 and hear how the FM of OSC 2 is affected:
    - From 0 to 50% (Sawtooth): The modulator is always the selected wave (Sine, Tri, Complex 3-64)
    - From 50% to 100% (Pulse): The modulator is always a rising (!) Sawtooth

Change OSC 1 to Wavetable and try the same as above, with similar result:
    - From 0 to 50%: The modulator is always the same wave of the selected Wavetable
    - From 50% to 100%: The modulator is always a rising Sawtooth

See this discussion:
    Spectral Wave/Square Blend Workaround?

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• Thanks for confirming, Oli!
    How did you determine it was always just the first wave of the selected wavetable? I thought it sounded more like it was trying to trigger all the waves in a table simultaneously or something!

• How did you determine it was always just the first wave of the selected wavetable? I thought it sounded more like it was trying to trigger all the waves in a table simultaneously or something!

Oh that was more of an assumption with a selection of waves I tried. But on closer inspection and with the help of an oscilloscope, I'm not so sure anymore. Could be any of the waves, it's really hard to tell.

Above text adapted.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Yeah, as I said in the other thread, the wavetables in this case sound "frozen"!
    Thanks for your research and response, Oli!

• I'm absolutely stunned that this was just discovered (or was it?). Thank you Oli for your contribution. I will add that it's not just the classic and WT modes but all modes show this post 50% sawtooth behaviour. Also most of the parameters on OSC 1 (f-spread, detune etc) appear not to affect the FM'ed signal. Setting OSC balance all the way to OSC 2 renders most OSC 1 parameters useless. It is also happening off-daw so it's not VC related.

• Perhaps Osc 2 Classic Mode, FM Mode source selection "Osc 1- Wave" is intended only for the Spectral Wave position since there is no crossfading to sawtooth to pulse or fully functioning wavetables when listening to only Osc 2.