While the world changes, Access Virus TI2 remains stoically silent

• My Virus TI2 is STILL not usable in live situations - not even as a MIDI keyboard for external sound sources - because it STILL has the same silly software bugs (random pitch bend data being sent even when not touching the keyboard, and pitch bend range often incorrect until switching machine off and back on)

Yet, a couple of well known world touring acts are using it in their live rigs...

IMO, the keybed of your TI needs servicing. Sounds like dirty contacts to me. Google that issue. It's common on all keyboards.

That said, I was a bit annoyed about the hiccup in the release notes as well. Very little info duplicated a million times.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Zitat von oliAtBass

Yet, a couple of well known world touring acts are using it in their live rigs...

IMO, the keybed of your TI needs servicing. Sounds like dirty contacts to me. Google that issue. It's common on all keyboards.

Perhaps, but for multiple reasons that seems very unlikely to me:

• I have bought the TI2 brand new, and it has had these problems since the very beginning.
    • The pitch bend control has nothing to do with the key bed.
    • Switching the machine off and back on temporarily gets rid of the issue - which makes a software issue much more likely than a mechanical problem caused by dirt inside.
    • The issue seems to happen much more often when the pitch bend range is set to +/- 12 semi-tones (which happens to be my preference), while most default patches use a pitch bend range of +/- 2 semi-tones (which may also explain why many other users - including those "well known world touring acts" - do not experience this issue).

Fwiw, I have (had) many other keyboards, and have indeed cleaned them whenever they needed it. This really seems to be an entirely different issue altogether. Nevertheless, thank you for your suggestion!

˙ɯǝɥʇ ǝsooɥɔ ǝɯ ʇǝl ʇ,uoʍ ɯnɹoɟ pıdnʇs sıɥʇ ʇnq 'ɹǝɔuǝnbǝs puɐ SO ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ǝsn I

• @banned: contact support and get help and your hardware fixed. doesn't that seem to be a obvious move when you had "these problems since the very beginning"?
    the pitch bender/ modwheel unit automatically calibrates when you switch on your Virus. if a mechanical issue results in this calibration to be false after a while you get exactly what you describe above. your assumption regarding the range is wrong.

• To me Christoph Kemper is an artist, and as every artist, you get fed up with what you've done at some point, and you try to have fun with the discipline/knowledge you acquired and try to use it somewhere else... And that's what he's doing with Kemper amp..

The virus has been around since 20 years, it's still one of the most desirable synths out there, as users of it, you guys know how deep/perfect it is. You know that if you work in music for image, or even pop, the virus is basically all you need, and all the other synths are just other extra flavors, a caprice.. I load init patches in the virus on my default templates, every day, a few minutes later i got something going and i'm working! That's all that matters to me, the virus is a 'tool' that works every day when i need it, and in 99% of the situations, if not 100%! Do i need another virus ? Not really.. It still sounds like the future haha!

I'm really happy for Christoph if he still has a lot of fun discovering new things, putting out new successful products, and i'm sure that if he has a new sick idea for the virus/synth market, we will know about it.. Consider that this guy made the perfect synth with the virus, and he's becoming the same thing for guitar players... Culturally, it's huge already..

• Zitat

To me Christoph Kemper is an artist, and as every artist, you get fed up with what you've done at some point, and you try to have fun with the discipline/knowledge you acquired and try to use it somewhere else... And that's what he's doing with Kemper amp..

The virus has been around since 20 years, it's still one of the most desirable synths out there, as users of it, you guys know how deep/perfect it is. You know that if you work in music for image, or even pop, the virus is basically all you need, and all the other synths are just other extra flavors, a caprice.. I load init patches in the virus on my default templates, every day, a few minutes later i got something going and i'm working! That's all that matters to me, the virus is a 'tool' that works every day when i need it, and in 99% of the situations, if not 100%! Do i need another virus ? Not really.. It still sounds like the future haha!

I'm really happy for Christoph if he still has a lot of fun discovering new things, putting out new successful products, and i'm sure that if he has a new sick idea for the virus/synth market, we will know about it.. Consider that this guy made the perfect synth with the virus, and he's becoming the same thing for guitar players... Culturally, it's huge already..

Those are all fair and excellent points, for sure, but I suspect that for a lot of us, it's not even about re-inventing the Virus, it's just about it catching up. If it is working well, I plan on using my TI2 until it doesn't work anymore... but I don't want to hit a point where I'm tied to some abandonware with a 2009 interface in the year 2025. When I first joined the forum, I'd said something similarly. Even knowing that the Virus is likely nearing the end of its production life (based on that technical data someone posted on here a while ago about the DSP chips), I'm fine with that. For me, the sticking point is people are still buying new Viruses, today, that could very well still be in service, 10 years from now or longer. There's been no shortage of suggestions for small improvements to the synth that would add a few functions (but, at least to me, aren't deal-breakers), but what is really needed is one last revamp of the control software to something that is more in line with today's interfaces and such. I think what bothers me the most is the silence on the part of Access. Yes, that latest bug fix was nice, for sure, and I'm sure that next year or the year after, there'll likely be another or two with the upgrades to people's computer OS's, but I'd really like a better interface that is easier to use and is also scalable so I can actually see what the heck I'm doing, so I'm not still using a 2009 style program, 10 years from now.

• What do you think is wrong with the interface for the plugin ? i mean you have instant access to every parameter, and it's not ugly at all, and you can automate anything you want if that's your desire.. To me that fairly all i need!

You mean that you'd like something like Serum where you can see the mods moving and all that? Honestly, i use Serum a lot as well, but i'm more using my ears than looking at how the shit moves lol. It's sound, guys!

It's ridiculous how the last 10 years of bullshit marketing has damaged the principle that in order to make music, you use your fucking ears!

I'm 34, i've been a pro musician / composer since the last 10 years, the virus ti has brought much more money that it costed me.. Last monday i made 4000e in two hours using it only, and i really didn't feel i needed anything more from it, as every night i thanked it for having done a good job as i turned it off.

I'm sorry for being a bit passionate about it all, but whenever i read 'synthesists' online it's pure bullshit, and it pisses me off to read such bullshit here, you guys spent 2k on the synth, you got yourself the most convenient piece of gear ever that you can use as a synth, as a multifx.. You got gazillions of waveforms, fm, more envelopes that i'm sure you actually use, endless polyphony, a shit ton of fxs, distortions, eq and more lol I mean if you can't make a nice sound with that from scratch, i don't think the virus or its plugin UI is to blame...

And that end of production, who cares dude? The 106 is well past its end of production do you hear people complaining about not having visual feedback when they program it ? It's a musical instrument, not a phone!

• "What do you think is wrong with the interface for the plugin ? i mean you have instant access to every parameter, and it's not ugly at all, and you can automate anything you want if that's your desire.. To me that fairly all i need! "

It's good that it's all you need. You're not everyone else. What's wrong with it? The lettering is too damn small. I can't even see the darn numbers of each preset. It's a pain to have to go into a DAW just to organize my presets. It's still buggy sometimes. It's still using USB 1.0. As to using one's ears, yes, of course that's important. But the entire big marketing point of the TI was total integration, meaning, do sound design on your PC. An interface is still going to be easier than menu diving on the synth, especially one as complex as this one is. If you're still selling the hardware, it's important to keep the software updated and current. That's not a ridiculous proposition.