Basic Carrier Waves for PM and PWM

• Hello all,
    The TI2 lone sinewave wavetable I presume is for the Osc 2 phase modulation parameter as a carrier wave for classic DX style sine to sine PM synthesis. However, if you might like to use other basic waveshapes as carriers, I found these three wavetables to predominantly contain those basic waves:

"Solenoid" (triangle). Has some extra resonance on bass notes, and square waves at the beginning of the table, but overall mostly good for tri waves.
    "Pulsechecker" (sawtooth).
    "Filter Sqr" (square).

Casio's "phase distortion" synthesis used basic angular waves as modulators to a sine carrier, so the TI2 is of course capable of that with Osc 1 even in Classic Mode.
    These could also be used as basic waves for PWM for the PWM Wavetable Osc Mode since the Classic Mode offers PWM only on square waves, of course.
    The Roland alpha Juno actually offers Sawtooth PWM so I guess you would call that Sawtooth Width Modulation? ;>)
    Cheers!

• The TI2 lone sinewave wavetable I presume is for the Osc 2 phase modulation parameter as a carrier wave for classic DX style sine to sine PM synthesis.

Sorry, but I don't understand. Also, I can't find no wavetable called "Ione" on my Virus TI....

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• My apologies for being unclear!
    By "lone" I meant that it is conspicuous that among 99 other wavetables mostly all containing complex waves, the first table "Sine" would consist of only a solitary simple sine wave. I can only assume Access included it because the phase modulation parameter is there in the Osc 2 Wavetable mode, and classic Yamaha DX phase modulation synthesis is sine to sine modulation if someone wanted to emulate that even if only in a two operator context.
    Hope that helps!
    Cheers!

• Ah, now I get it! :)

Other wavetables that might be particularly useful for FM are:
    - Eat Pulse
    - Sqr Series
    - Sine Sytem

I haven't found something like tristate or selected partials (1+3+5) yet...

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Oli, you mentioned wavetables "useful for FM" that are a little more than just basic. (Sorry my mobile won't "quote"). Did you mean as PM carriers? Yes, phase modulating wavetables is a great inclusion for the TI2! If you want to emulate early PM synths though, you know to stay with basic waves (the DX had only sine) as modulators and carriers to synthesize "complexer" waves. Using a complex wave to phase modulate a simple wave however is kind of pointless, traditionally speaking (why phase distortion synthesis flopped?), though it still might yield some pleasant results anyway!
    Cheers!