Virus Snow and Roland Studio Capture Interface - Hardware outs-

• Hello folks, I am a proud owner of a newly acquired Snow and it is now fully updated. I have a hardware only home studio, all routed through (2) Roland Studio Captures, straight to PC via USB. My DAW is Sonar Artist. (The sound is sent from PC back via USB to the Studio Capture monitor outs to my HR824's). My goal is to be able to browse through the patches within the Virus Control and audition them as I browse. I have lots of patches already loaded and can view them from Virus Control inside Sonar but cannot get them to sound. (I am using one of my keyboards as controller, with the Snow 1/4" Outs connected with 1/4" cables from that same keyboard going back to the Studio Capture channel inputs, basically using the Snow in the same keyboard's channel slots temporarily for testing).

As of now, I can load the patch, save it straight to the Snow then disconnect everything and hear it that way, but there must be a better way. I think I am confusing the Snow's USB sound path somehow? Do I have to still set up the Virus' sound card even though I'm already using the Studio Capture's interface for sound? Again, I will use the Snow only as a hardware synth, playing straight to tracks when I record, and also plan to use it with my live rig. So my only software need is to be able to use the librarian to audition and load patches back and forth. Is there anyone left out there sticking to hardware these days and have similar set up that can help? Thanks very much, and am totally in awe of this Virus technology-all aspects!!!!

• Mate, you aren't going to win any friends by getting shitty, everyone here is actually very helpful. Maybe you just caught people at the end of a busy week, simple as that.

Afraid I don't know anything about Sonar Artist, but I'm wondering whether the right track is armed to record, when you are trying to audition a patch, for a particular track. Have you setup a "main" track for the Snow and 1-4 additional MIDI tracks that send MIDI to each channel of the main Virus Snow track? Then you have up to 4 tracks you can arm, or set to record, which map to the 4 different channels inside Virus Control. if you don't arm the right track in Sonar and then click the right track number in VC, you may not hear anything, or you might hear the wrong track. Sorry if you already know all that, better to work through it all and get your feedback.

You also shouldn't need to save patches onto the Snow, in order to audition them, the Browser can play any patches straight off the file-system

Cheers,

EG

• Ok thanks EG and fair enough, might need to take that slur shot out, but hey, got a response!!

Ok, I got things working....I had my controller synth plugged into the Midi IN on the Snow, which apparently you cannot do with the USB hooked up and Virus Control center? So I unplugged the midi cable from the Snow and ran it from my controller synth Out to the Studio Captures Midi In and Voila....Sound. (Using the 1/4" outs from the Snow which is what I want).

Guess I'm dating myself here as a hardware guy slowly getting drawn into another way of doing things.....Still really cool to be able to blend in as a VST with hardware.....amazing actually.

Thanks again for reply, I think I'm just trying to understand the role of the Snow's sound card against the Studio Capture Interface/Card and is it one or the other or do both work together since the Roland is a USB interface as well. If anyone can explain the flows between competing USB cards and interfaces like the Studio Capture, I would appreciate the knowledge.

• No probs, glad you got it working! In order to get the best performance out of the Snow, you are better off using an external sound card, plus it helps to have the Snow in track 1 of your DAW. (Less pops and crackles, or arpeggios getting out of synch.)

What other hardware synths do you have? :)

Cheers,

EG

• Trying out the upload.....Home Studio, but just a working stiff with day job. Play in a pretty decent Charlotte area contemporary band .....really into backing keys with tons of synth - leads, pads, you name it. The Snow is going to sit right on the PX5S and be the most powerful combo under 27lbs around LOL...... but am experimenting with Kronos external inputs this weekend too.

• Wow, nice setup! Makes my home studio look pretty average, I've only got a Virus TI, TI Snow, Novation Mininova, Korg Electribe ES-1 and an Emu Xtreme Lead. (And a dead Korg Wavestation A/D.) Damn, you had to have a V-Synth, didn't you! I've been lusting after one for a year, now! That's probably my next purchase, or just after a Moog Minitaur. :)

EG

• Thanks, have to stop acquisitions now, my wife thinks I have a hoarding problem and she may be right! (But kids are grown and $$overhead is much lower now)... Anyways, thanks for helping man, reading posts about folks with the usb latency timing concerns and all (I noticed some when playing around), I'll just stay old school and record with the old fashioned midi cables and controller straight to track real time with count in measure....have managed to get the sound quality much better over the years recording this way, and just don't have the patience to become a sound engineer- would rather just sit down and play the damn thing....