Can someone explain to me multi mode? Ti2 Desktop

• I've tried on the gear slutz forum to get an explanation, I just don't understand how it works. Are there any videos explaining it? This is driving me nuts.
    I'm exploring how to use this Ti2 Desktop with my Pioneer Toraiz Sequencer.

Thanks

• In multi mode, the Virus TI can play up to 16 parts simultaneusly. By default each part is connected to its own MIDI channel. MIDI supports 16 channels. So you have Part 1 reacting on MIDI channel 1, Part 2 on Channel 2, up tp Part 16 on channel 16.

AFAIR, the keyboard sends in the channel of the selected Part. So if Part 2 is selected, the keyboard will send notes on channel 2.

But in a multi, you have much more control: You can change the channel and restrict the note range for each part which allows you to play different parts from different ranges of the keyboard.

Now the question is what you want to do...

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• This video was the perfect tutorial on how to setup multimode:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• He means you can map several sounds across your keyboard, if your keyboard has key splitting capabilities by channel. So, say you wanted range C2-B4 on channel 1 triggering one sound, C5-B7 channel 2 with another sound, etc. I have my multis set up for three different parts on my keys.

• He means you can map several sounds across your keyboard, if your keyboard has key splitting capabilities by channel.

No need for the external keyboard to have that capability. It's all inside the Virus itself! You can restrict the note ranges for a Part. So you can set your parts as follows:

Part
    MIDI Channel
    Key Range
    Part 1 (Bass) 1 C1 - B1
    Part 2 (Pad) 1 C2 - B2
    Part 3 (Lead) 1 C3 - B3

all within the Virus' Multi Edit and be able to play bass, pad, and leads from different octaves of your external (or internal) keyboard.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• What about sequence? Does this mean you can use the ARP and record a pattern, press one key and have it play back?

Not exactly like that, but sort of.

Every Part uses the Arp settings from the Patch, so if you have Patches with pre-pgrogrammed sequences (which actually is an abuse of the Arpeggiator), you can actually trigger them by just pressing one key. If the Patches don't have pre-programmed sequences, you can still use the Arp is usual.

I tried exactly that a week ago with a Kick drum on Part 1 (Arp on, set to 1/4), Bass on Part 2 (Arp on, set to 1/8) and a Pad on Part 3 and got totally carried away jamming around. Yeah, sometimes it doesn't take a lot to make me happy. :D

PS: There are some global config settings which have an impact on how the Virus reacts in Multi-Mode, also how the Arpeggiator is applied. If it doesn't work as described above, most probably some of those settings are the culprit.

• Oli,
    How do you get the arp to play pre-programed sequences? Are you referring to a recent thread about using the transpose parameter somehow to do that?
    Thanks!

• How do you get the arp to play pre-programed sequences? Are you referring to a recent thread about using the transpose parameter somehow to do that?

Yes. Like explained in this video:

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• Thanks Oli! :>)
    PS. Is this possible in stand-alone mode?

• I have it set up for three so that when I use different arpeggiators, they don't affect each other, but I guess I never really even knew I could just go ahead and set it up that way.

No need for the external keyboard to have that capability. It's all inside the Virus itself! You can restrict the note ranges for a Part. So you can set your parts as follows:

Part
    MIDI Channel
    Key Range
    Part 1 (Bass) 1 C1 - B1
    Part 2 (Pad) 1 C2 - B2
    Part 3 (Lead) 1 C3 - B3

all within the Virus' Multi Edit and be able to play bass, pad, and leads from different octaves of your external (or internal) keyboard.

• Is this possible in stand-alone mode?

Unfortunately the Arpeggiator user pattern can only be programmed from within the Virus Control VST/AU. Maybe it could be done with MIDI Controller or SysEx messages from some kind of controller hardware (e.g. Behringer), but I have no real knowledge about that. I'm using the Virus TI from within Cubase most of the time so that isn't an issue.

• Each part has its own MIDI channel, so of course it can be done from a DAW or Sequencer of choice...I use AKAI MPCX as a controller of the Virus TI2 Full keys. In the MPCX I create a plugin track and assign a midi channel to the track routed to the TI2 Plugin. You can have multiple instances of tracks on incremental MIDI channels assigned to the same plugin instance of Total Integration. Works somewhat fine in plugin mode but sometimes I notice it looses MIDI Sync. I have also tried a few times to control the VIrus TI2 via MIDI ports directly. That is how you are going to get the best results. The plugin software interface is flimsy and does not always yield the best results. Well the Virus is getting up there and shows its true age with somewhat limited USB throughput...Still amazing to this day though. I don't fault it that it was ahead of its time!