Unable to get the external inputs to work

• Hey, my first post here, hope someone can help me out.

I have a Virus TI Snow and it works fine with midi. Today I was trying to get the arpeggiator to work using a guitar through the external inputs, but for the life of me, I couldn't figure it out.

I went to the config menu, made sure that the input had enough sensitivity in the config menu, checked the input thru to see whether there was any signal being input (there was), tried playing around with the common section and had to set the input to static instead of dynamic in order to get sound.

After that I went to the arpeggiator section, but no matter what settings I changed, I could not get the arp to play.

I'd ideally like to do something like this guy in this video:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

A more detailed explanation of the setup:
    Running a guitar into a Kemper Profiler, then sending a signal of the effected sound through the monitor output into the Virus. Virus is routed to a mixer which sends the signal to my interface to my speakers.

I had the toughest time getting the analog inputs to work with the Virus, the manual makes it sound so easy. "Just plug in". But it took me a long time to figure out that I had to go to the common section for any patch I was playing and set it to "static" instead of "dynamic", besides changing the input to L+R (or R in my case, with only one cable) to even get the Virus to output any sound. Or is that the problem? I mean, should I have set it to "dynamic" instead? But then I get no sound from the virus.

Assuming I've done the right thing, now I would like to get the arpeggiator to work on the Virus. It would be great if someone could help me out here.

I go by nightlight on the Kemper Amps forums too, any users from over there out here? ^^

• Just read this on another thread:

The arpeggiator simply plays a sequence of MIDI notes; it's not there to process external audio.

If you want to chop up external audio using the TI's arpeggiator to define the pattern of the chopping, you might want to set up a MIDI-driven audio gate in your sequencer. You would feed the Nord audio signal in to the sequencer, and control the MIDI gate with note on/note off messages from your TI's arpeggiator. Make sure you turn on "Arp Note Send" setting in the Global MIDI menu so that the arpeggiated notes are sent. I would tell you how to set up the MIDI gate, but that will be different with each sequencer package.

There might be a way to create a "noise gate" patch in the TI and use this to chop up the signal, but I'm not familiar enough with the TI's sound programming to help you here.

So I guess it's not possible. But what about the info at the end of the post, i.e. There might be a way to create a "noise gate" patch in the TI and use this to chop up the signal, but I'm not familiar enough with the TI's sound programming to help you here.

Is there some way I could programme something in the step sequencer to chop up my audio like in that video?

• I did something similar with my bass and Chapman Stick, a few months back. If you have your DAW or an external sequencer driving an Arp patch on the Virus, and use the Dynamic input setting, it will gate the input signal, creating an effect like in the video. You just can't do it with the TI alone, well, unless you play a key and latch it, to keep the Arp running. :)

Here's a really dodgy video I did, to show the general approach. Relies on Ableton Live to play the rhythmic part of the Arp, but the primary carrier is coming from the Stick. You can hear some weird artefacts coming into the signal, as the vibrating string tone is not as clean as a synth waveform, but that adds some extra bite and harmonics. :)

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Hope that helps a bit!

Cheers,

EG

• So just feed a midi signal into the Virus with the setting on dynamic? Thanks, that helps a lot! Great video!