Question about syncing multiple devices.

• Hey, folks, like a lot of you, I can't stop acquiring new gear. :thumbup: Here's what I have, so far:

TI2 Desktop
    Kork Minilogue
    Roland Aira TR-8
    Focusrite Scarlett, for recording and using softsynths.
    Eventide H9 pedal
    Infinity Looper Pedal

All of these have a midi in/out, and the TI2 has a Midi Thru, too. What would be the best way to sync all of these? I'm thinking some sort of merge/split option. I need to be able to use the Midi in on the TI with the controller I'm using, so I'm not quite sure as to what the best way to proceed would be to get everything in sync? The last two on the list (the pedals) might not always be used, so they can't be the source of the clock. Also, sometimes, I may not be using the softsynths, so the Focusrite probably shouldn't be the clock source, either. Suggestions, particularly ones that won't be too expensive? I do notice that using the TI as a clock source makes it kind of laggy when turning knobs or changing presets.

Thank in advance.

• Hey lr... good luck to you in which ever way you chose to accomplish this. However, should you decide to go the MIDI route, I have an excellent condition MOTU MIDI Express 128 I am not longer using. Shout if you want to buy it off me.

Mac OSX Yosemite

• I do notice that using the TI as a clock source makes it kind of laggy when turning knobs or changing presets.

Really? How are the Common > Smooth Mode settings on the patch you tested it with?

BTW, using the Virus as your clock source also limits the available tempo to 63-190 BPM. Therefore I'd use the sound module or synth with the best input capabilities and most stable clock as clock source. And depends highly on your use...

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• I don't know... to be perfectly honest, I don't know what that is. Still somewhat of a noob.

The tempo issue isn't a problem, as I don't generally play anything outside of those ranges. The only reason I used the Virus as the master is due to just having the 1 midi in. Is there a way to use the Midi thru to receive a signal for sync.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Really? How are the Common &gt; Smooth Mode settings on the patch you tested it with?</p>

<p>BTW, using the Virus as your clock source also limits the available tempo to 63-190 BPM. Therefore I'd use the sound module or synth with the best input capabilities and most stable clock as clock source. And depends highly on your use...

</p>

• Is there a way to use the Midi thru to receive a signal for sync.

Not that I know of. Would be nice if the clock was jut around on the whole bus...

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• I have a hardware only studio with over ten pieces of gear that I can sync in one fashion or another, all fed through (2) linked Roland Studio Captures via USB to PC. I generally keep sync'd gear to (3) units (rhythms/arps) and agree that the most stable piece you have should be the master. That Motu unit above is nice and I use an old school Roland A880 Midi Patch Bay which allows (8) combinations of In's/Out's, but again (3) units is usually max to hold sync and even that depends on the gear (e.g. Yamaha EX5R is awesome sounding kit but lousy midi clock)... I also have the TR-8 and use it often with other gear's drum kits all combined (really cool and fun to play with multiple kits sync'd together) but it is controlled with a Miniak or a Kronos...it seems to follow better than lead. If you are "daisy chaining" then as you know the "thru" plug echos midi events from the first to a third device. Bottom line, might be time for a Midi Patch Bay, they really help with hardware gear and not having to plug/unplug all of the time, but again (with rhythms and arps) I will sometimes hook the drum kits up direct via a daisy chain because they will stay in sync for quite a long time with the right gear.

• I have a hardware only studio with over ten pieces of gear that I can sync in one fashion or another, all fed through (2) linked Roland Studio Captures via USB to PC. I generally keep sync'd gear to (3) units (rhythms/arps) and agree that the most stable piece you have should be the master. That Motu unit above is nice and I use an old school Roland A880 Midi Patch Bay which allows (8) combinations of In's/Out's, but again (3) units is usually max to hold sync and even that depends on the gear (e.g. Yamaha EX5R is awesome sounding kit but lousy midi clock)...

Thanks.

Would a patch bay be a better idea than a midi merge and a midi thru box?

• Well this is just my view but here it goes: If you are playing out a lot then maybe a thru box or merger would work fine because of size, price and transport etc. and if you are working with other folks and/or have to have more than a couple pieces of gear. Also if $$ is an issue can solve some problems on the cheap with those boxes. But if you are building a home set up and can spend the $$, then a patch type bay (tons of choices out there now with the USB too) can offer as many combinations as you can think of by just pushing buttons once you have it all set up and they sync of course. Here is a simple pic of my current set up patch bay diagram. Any one on the Left can control up to all (8) on the right. (You could even have one's on the Left listed on the right as long as you don't have it controlling itself.) This is just one example for my set up that works for me because the ones on the left are usually controllers with the way I do my music, but again, no reason why they could not be moved to the right side. Also - Keep in mind the Roland A880 I use is 80's technology and with the Studio Capture Interface, works GREAT meshing old gear with the PC recording software via the Studio Capture's USB. However - The modern units (Motu etc.) have obviously updated internals to work even better with latency, sync etc. and can be USB powered. So basically you are controlling all of your hardware gear externally before the interface. But again, I'm a different bird because I use 1/4" plugs through the Interface and to PC via USB which I personally really like because I just sit and play what I want, not having to worry about my sound card being taking over by other gear (like the Virus Snow does-LOL!!)