Question about patch data when recording MIDI

• Hi, folks.

I'm trying different methods of recording/performing with Ableton right now, and one thing I'm trying is, instead of the USB/VST, I'm recording a midi track just using the midi out on the Virus, and then I have Ableton send to the Virus and have the Virus play. I've been able to do it on a single, but I'm not sure about how to configure my Virus so it can also send the patch data and such, so when I play the midi back to the virus, it automatically pulls up the right patch. Is there a way to do that? I wasn't even sure where to look in the manual, but I'm hoping, if I can, I just need to tweak a few things in the config. Any ideas?

Thanks.

• There a two different general approaches to this:

• Send a Bank- and Program-Change to select the correct preset from memory (e.g. ROM H-42). This approach is easy and fast, and works great as long as you don't change the patches in your synth. In general it's great for synths with ROM presets or General MIDI devices.
    • Dump the actual patch information via MIDI SysEx and load that data before playback. This approach allows you to store all the patch information within your song for total recall, even if the patches stored in the synth were changed since you worked on the song. It's rather complicated, fragile and time consuming, but it works. It is more or less what the Virus Control plugin does in the background.

The fitst approach is rather easy, Ableton has even the capability to store a Bank/Program Change command on every clip!

The second approach is more involved and I haven't really worked with it on the Virus. There's a section in the Config menu where you can dump single patches or whole banks, all multis and configs. Plus there is the capability to dump the "Current Arrangement" which is the a Multi that's in the edit buffer (which means it's not stored in the synth). This is probably the best option to use because it stores all 16 patches plus their multi data (volume, pan, transpose and keyrange etc. ) in one go.

As said, I have no experience with that (totally love TI, except for the timing issues) but that's how I would approach it.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• In that case it might be best to use the Virus in Sequencer mode (see below). Make sure that your Virus is configured to accept program change and volume events for parts:
    CONFIG > MIDI 2/3 > MIDI Volume > Enabled
    CONFIG > MIDI 3/3 > Program Change > Enabled

Then it's really straight forward: First put Virus TI into Sequencer Mode (press MULTI + SINGLE), then create a new project in Ableton Live and:

• create MIDI track
    • set track MIDI To Virus TI and Ch. 1
    • create Clip and add some notes
    • in the Clip Notes info section set Pgm Change to Bank = 5, Pgm = 21

Now repeat steps 1 to 4 for another MIDI track:

• create MIDI track
    • set track MIDI To Virus TI and Ch. 2
    • create Clip and add some notes
    • in the Clip Notes info section set Pgm Change to Bank = 5, Pgm = 3

That should get you started. The rest is really up to you.

For how to use Bank/Program Change event in the Ableton Live Arrangement view, please consult the manual (I've always used Live only in Session view).

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• Okay, this is starting to make sense. I don't need to use VC with Seq mode, right? I don't want to use the USB, at all.

In reference to "Bank = 5, Pgm = 3"... do the bank numbers start with the RAM's or ROM's? Would "Bank = 5, Pgm = 3" be the third program.
    of ROM A?

What would I do differently if I wanted to use Multimode instead of seq mode? Because what I might want to do is, since I have my keyboard set up split over three channels, be able to set up channels 1-3 as things I could use live, with channels 4 and up triggered by the sequencer. There's no way to do that in seq mode, is there?

• In reference to "Bank = 5, Pgm = 3"... do the bank numbers start with the RAM's or ROM's? Would "Bank = 5, Pgm = 3" be the third program.
    of ROM A?

Exactly.
    RAM-A = Bank 1
    RAM-B = Bank 2
    RAM-C = Bank 3
    RAM-D = Bank 4
    ROM-A = Bank 5
    ROM-B = Bank 6

What would I do differently if I wanted to use Multimode instead of seq mode?

Not much to do different in Multimode, except that you may want to store all your settings in a Multi, and only send the Program Change for the correct Multi. To do so, you need to set the global MIDI Channel of the Virus to the channel you want to use for that purpose and enable Multi Program Change.

Because what I might want to do is, since I have my keyboard set up split over three channels, be able to set up channels 1-3 as things I could use live, with channels 4 and up triggered by the sequencer. There's no way to do that in seq mode, is there?

You can do something similar with Sequencer Mode, I think. The question is how you split up your keyboard. There are three possibilities:

• Set up the splits on your keyboard, if it has that capability (Virus can be used in Sequencer Mode)
    • Set up split and transpose information in your sequencer (Virus can be used in Sequencer Mode)
    • Set up key range and transpose information in the Virus (this is only possible with Multi Mode)

As long as you have a software between your keyboard and the Virus, I'd rather use the software to define all the split points and desired transposition.