Updated to macOS 10.12.4, now 'Midi driver failed to start'

• Hi there,

New Virus Ti Polar owner here. Love the sound, hate the bugs.

I updated to macOS 10.12.4 (auto-updated, my bad...) and now my Virus TI software doesn't work.
    Can use as Audio device, but the TI software and MIDI doesn't fly.
    Error in the TI sw says 'MIDI driver failed to start or is not installed' [etc].

Using Logic 10.3.1.
    iMac mid 2011.

Tried re-installing the drivers, no bueno.
    Ran Disk Permissions (first aid), no dice.

Console log, searching 'midi' yields:

default 10:47:09.526805 -0700 MIDIServer 56: notice: MIDIServer.cpp:354: FullInit: MIDIServer [653] starting; arch=x86_64
    default 10:47:09.882813 -0700 MIDIServer 56: notice: <usbio> USBMIDIDevice.cpp:72: Initialize: starting MIDI, mOutPipe=0x1, mInPipe=0x2

So, looks like it's starting, so not sure wtf is going on.

Any pointers on what to look for, and in what logs?
    (I am a software guy, I know how to get dirty with the OS ;)

• Looks like simply clicking the 'Midi Reset' from Logic did the trick... Tho after it (core-audio) reloaded the second time it stopped working until I clicked that button again... I went back and kept SIP enabled, it still works.
    *shakes head*

• What version of the Virus Installer did you use?

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Just as info: I have every aspect of the Virus 5.1.6.05 running fine under macOS 10.12.4. VST3 in Cubase, AU in Mainstage. No issues with drivers, regardless whether MIDI or Audio.

Do you have the Virus on a dedicated USB bus?

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• Because in another thread a user reported it working under Sierra, so I was isolating in typical troubleshooting fashion.

aha.

i any case I can assure you that you will never need to disable SIP for anything software that comes from us. That's because we neither produce software which alters macOS nor cannot provide a valid developer certificate.

i cannot look inside your computer but from what we can see, Apple changed some things in regards to the handling of USB devices. As a result, you might need to put the Virus on another USB bus and make sure it is the only device on this bus. Also try to put a USB2 hub in between the Virus and your computer. do not connect anything else to this hub.

what type of Mac do you have?

• Just as info: I have every aspect of the Virus 5.1.6.05 running fine under macOS 10.12.4. VST3 in Cubase, AU in Mainstage. No issues with drivers, regardless whether MIDI or Audio.

Do you have the Virus on a dedicated USB bus?

Yep, it's plugged directly into the back of the iMac. System Info also shows it's the only thing on the bus besides the IR reader and the SD card reader (both of which are not in use, ever).

In Logic it will refuse to load the midi driver when I launch a project, old or new, until I hit 'reset midi driver' in Logic Preferences > Midi

• Gotcha, thanks for that.

I do know that Apple has changed it's USB stack with Sierra, and can sympathize. The software product I manage in my day job has to deal with that extensively too.

I have it on a dedicated port and bus (IR reader, sd card reader bus, but they're never in use). I can try moving it around and seeing. As for a hub, I have a few options there which I'll try as well.

Mac is mid 2011 iMac (iMac12,2)

• FYI, I got an Exsys EX-1188HMS hub which has the GL3520 USB 3.1 Gen 1 MTT Hub Controller. Works perfectly for me even with all my other music gear plugged into it.

• FYI, I got an Exsys EX-1188HMS hub which has the GL3520 USB 3.1 Gen 1 MTT Hub Controller. Works perfectly for me even with all my other music gear plugged into it.

let me just add here that plugging everything into one hub only works if it is a true MTT hub. in general, we advise to one plug the Virus into the hub and the hub straight into the mac.