Lexicon Alpha interface : enough for a Virus TI ?

• Hi ! Despite I love the Virus TI, I always have trouble to use it through usb mode.

I would like to use it within an audio interface.

But, I learned that the best quality would come from the usb mode.

I have an Alpha Lexicon soundcard (but not yet the cables), I would like to know if it is good for a Virus TI.
    Will I loose quality with it ?

Thanks !!

• I've had less crackles and timing stutters since using a separate sound card to the Virus. (I have a Steinberg UR-22.) Plus newer sound cards will usually have lower latency than the Virus, as it was designed quite a few years ago. I wouldn't say the sound quality has noticeably changed, though, just less headaches.

Cheers,

EG

• "i can't really comment on the interface' quality since I never worked with it. But you probably know that the Virus transmits via USB and the quality of the transmission is totally independent of the interface used?"

What do you mean ? Yes the Virus transmit via USB but only while using the TI mode. If you want to record the virus like in the old time you need an interface unfortunately.

• I wasn't clear if you just want to replace the Virus as an audio interface or the entire type of connection. you could use S/PDIF to get you audio from the Virus into the interface, this way you avoid loss.

But I would suggest you work on your setup so you can use Total Integration. contact support by email, they'll help you.

• Hi Marc, thanks for your answer.

I don't understand what you mean with S/PDIF. What is it exactly ? How can I use it ?

You mean that by connecting the Virus to the interface using SPDIF there will be no loss ?

But from the interface to the computer, there would be loss, no ?

Thanks !

• S/PDIF is a digital connection. The digital signal goes unchanged from your Virus into your soundcard, to the computer, into your DAW and to the audio file. So there's no need for D/A (in the synth) and A/D (in the soundcard) conversion, and therefore no loss will occur.

For best results you have to make sure all your components use the same sample rate.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+