Vocoder plays the modulator when the carrier is not sending signal for a while?

• I´m trying to use vocoder for the first time now (i´ve been using virus ti for almost a year, and never tryied it).
    The problem is that if I dont talk to the MIC for around 10 seconds, then the modulator (aka synth itself) starts to sound.
    Off course, thats not what I need. I need the vocoder to sound only when the carrier (aka my voice) is sending some signal.

Is this the normal behaviour on the virus ti? Or i´m making something wrong?
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance !

• The problem is that if I dont talk to the MIC for around 10 seconds, then the modulator (aka synth itself) starts to sound.

The synth sounds all by itself? Please explain.
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the voice/mic is the modulator and the synth is the carrier.

• Thanks GES.
    1- You a re right. I inverted the names. Carrier is the synth, modulator ys the voice/mic.
    2- Let me explain it again (sorry, but English is not my main language): When I play a chord and talk to the mic, then I hear my voice with a vocoder effects. Then I stop talking, but I keep playing a chord, and I hear nothing. After some seconds, I keep playing a chord (and still not talking) and suddenly I start hearing the synth by itself.

I tried creating a patch from scratch, and also using the VOC patches that came with the Virus TI. All got the same effect.
    And the problem with this, is that I can´t shoot a midi loop and stop using the MIC, because after some time I start hearing the synth by itself.

Am I clear now?
    Is this the normal behaviour
    Thanks again!

• Yes, much clearer, thank you!
    No, I don't think the synth should be dropping out of vocoder mode and into regular play mode like that automatically. How do you get the vocoder to start up again? Other than just rechecking the vocoder settings and the manual, are there any forum members out there with more TI vocoder experience than I with some better suggestions? :>)

PS: Check Vocoder Modes "Oscillator" and "Osc Hold".

• Thanks again for your help !

As soon as I talk to the mic, the vocoder comes back. And some seconds afer I stop talking, the synth starts sounding again.

Its like a compressor with a long release... Activated by the MIC input. And after some time with no imput, then the synth starts sounding again.

I searched all over for videos with vocoder, couldn´t find any.

Btw, I tried it both using only the hardware, and also as a plugin (anyway, I never use my virus this way).

• Probably not what you wanted to hear, but the Virus vocoder really isn't very good. I spent hours trying to get a good sound out of it once and gave up. Better off with a cheap MicroKorg or Mininova, IMO.

EG

• Yeah. Not what I wanted to hear, but i read that many times already.
    I guess that´s why there isn´t much documantation abut this subject. Nobody really uses the vocoder.