D50 "Afterthought" Patch Emulation?

• Hi all,
    Does anybody have any tips for trying to recreate the Roland D50 patch "Afterthought" on the TI2 especially as heard on the intro of Tangerine Dream's "Canyon Dreams"? Perhaps a similar TI2 factory patch I've overlooked, or one (or more) of the single waves or wavetables?
    I don't have a D50 but almost bought one this weekend thinking this is what I really need to finish off my arsenal, but after seeing it in person I just couldn't for various reasons. Anyway, "Afterthought" is all I am REALLY after!
    Thanks!

• It's pretty hard to do without hearing the sound all by itself played as a single note.

Just for fun, and a little exercise in sound design, I did a couple of pads that are somewhat in that direction. However, I wasn't able to achieve the same "hollowness" and "breath". Mostly it's a detuned Hypersaw with Sub (Hypersquare) plus a wavetable with a bell like sound, some noise and lots of reverb.

Maybe these presets can get you started in the right direction.

Have fun, and let me know how it works out.

Edit: New version of presets.

PS: Listening to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvyPiUEabvw# (which I should have done before I started...) would indicate that the pure Afterthought sound is actually only a bell and should be rather well to achieve using one of the the "Sundial" wave tables.

Dateien

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• Thanks Oli! I will give it a try! You can also hear the original patch by itself if you go to Synthmania.com where there is a D50 page with samples of all the factory patches. "Afterthought" is #84.
    Also, perhaps someone out there has a D50 and could tell me what the 4 partials that make up the patch basically consist of (basic wave or PCM loop)?
    Thanks again!

• Would be interesting to know what the ingredients of the sound are. I heard a couple more examples on Youtube and it did sound a bit different in every one.

Anyway, I did some more experimenting and came up with 4 more presets. Didn't try to copy the sound exactly but instead to capture the vibe of those typical airy, glassy pad sounds. Especially 17 and 18 scream "D50 / Wavestation", IMO. :D

Enjoy.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• BTW, two tricks I tried and which seem to work quite well:

1. Using a Random glide (S&G) LFO with a rate between 90 and 120 on the wave select index of a wavetable oscillator yields a result which sounds a bit like a grain cloud. (ex. sound "PD Air 18")

2. Using a classic wave LFO with a medium high rate on the wave select index of a wavetable oscillator yields a much rougher sound... as if the wave catched a cold :D (ex. sound "PD Air 19")

Every now and then, I fear we still have only scratched the surface of what sounds the Virus can achieve.