Virus TI3 Ideas

• I know it's been talked about a lot, but when I think of a Virus TI3, I think the following:

- Everything that's in the TI/TI2
    - Add a larger screen (possibly touchscreen) for clear editing of waveforms, etc (think the new Waldorf Quantum)
    - Add Thunderbolt and/or USB3, and modify Virus Control, to transmit 16 channels of both MIDI and high-resolution Audio
    - User importable wavetables (sampling), user-creatable wavetables, using the screen
    - Some sample memory for all of this
    - Possibly a suite of sample-editing tools (tie in with the wavetable creation)
    - More knobs for surface-editing and less menu diving (maybe on the keyboard version, have the unit run the entire length of the keyboard instead of being the same size as the Desktop version; or just make them both bigger)
    - More arpeggiator options welcome
    - More filter modes/distortions
    - Built-in feedback mode (to get guitar amp-like feedback)?

If you think about it this would be a huge upgrade, and really not that much has to change.

Even without user wavetables/sampling, just modernizing it to carry 16 channels of audio would be a seller in itself; I would buy a TI3 if all they added was 16 channels of audio along with the MIDI, and changed nothing else.

• Access You can make 2 or 3 versions of the virus, expensive for performances (with keyboard and buttons), and cheap for studio work (without buttons), or even as it was in the form of powercore, pcie, or in a small desktop \ rack box via usb 2\3, thunderbolt. etc. Even it will be not virus ti 3, i think it could increase your sales. My virus powercore is so stable, i wish it was virus ti on pcie.

• "User importable wavetables (sampling)"

Importing wavetables for wavetable synthesis and sampling are two different things, I would love it if Access came out with a true sampler, running a sample-clip of a vocal through all the Filters, Envelopes, LFOs and effects etc.. it could get crazy. you can do that to an extent using the inputs and then recording the result into an audio interface.. not quite a sampler though.

• More filter modes/distortions

Filter and envelope graphics a'la Blofeld would be nice, but I think we already have plenty of Distortion choices in both the effects and filter sats.

• Feature request:

- as listed above

- some great functions from Elektron Overbridge, for eg.: Total Integration (audio over USB, etc...)

- the parts could be routed into different channels in the daw (so we can put different effects onto them)

- graphical eq on each part

- MORE DSP POWER! Ok, if the desktop has 16 part, but it crashes after tow, and not able to handle more at the same time. Todays technology is way more ahead, there are more powerful chips, so I don't understand why not to put 4-8 into the synth...

- ability to use TI as an fx in the daw. It would be nice if I can put it onto an other rack to use it's reverb for eg.

• The free MODALapp brings the comfort of screen-based editing on your computer or mobile device. Available as a standalone app for macOS, Windows, iOS, iPadOS or Android systems and in VST3 and AU plug-in formats it is the perfect companion for synth enthusiasts looking to deep dive to all sound forming and performance parameters to create their own signature sounds, and to backup and manage patches and sequences.

If TI3 is developed, why not emulate this feature?

• Just to echo many of the suggestions already made..

• High resolution, user-customisable or importable editable oscillator waveforms, editable via Virus Control and uploaded/saved to Virus TI.

• More advanced sound manipulation at the fundamental oscillator level (before it gets summed with other oscillators and they then hit the filter, effects etc.), similar to Z3ta+ (Warp, Twist, Drive, BitReduction, etc.)

v

Essentially these bits:- http://www.infekted.org/timo/z3ta.png

• OLED or touchscreen display with oscilloscope, like Korg Minilogue http://www.infekted.org/virus/…various/korgminilogue.gif ... or Bluetooth connection to iPad for larger graphical user control

• Ribbon controller or XY pad for tactile hardware expression. Synthesis is all about performance modulation and unique performance possibilities can be achieved with a ribbon/XP-pad that are unattainable from any other method, such as tapping, gating, scratching, vector-based swipes, controlling two mod sources (axes) at the same time, having greater tactile dynamic control over creating smooth curves, etc.. all with just one finger. Again if the Virus can be sync'd over bluetooth to iPad/iPhone you could perhaps use those touchscreens for this functionality instead, depending on latency/lag.

• Additional Arpeggiator functionality, more specifically:-

1. A new 'Accent' control (where you can further overlay velocity pattern[s] over and above the arpeggiated note pattern), and control the blend of the accent.
    2. More 'Motifs' (an increased selection of different orders of notes played, not just the usual up/down/up&down/random/chord/as-played).
    3. And... Additional customisable note patterns themselves.

(The above are used in the older Roland MC505's arpeggiator functionality to great effect: http://www.infekted.org/timo/mc505-arpeggiator.png )

Live example of an Accent (velocity) pattern slowly being applied and then taken away on top of an arpeggiator note pattern on MC505: http://www.infekted.org/timo/mc505-arp-accent.mp3

• Increased modelled filter types (MS-20, TB, JP8, OB-X, Arp26, etc.)

• Two patches at the same time, with a crossfade or morph feature to mix or blend from one to another. I know this is essentially a two-part multi, but it would be nice to have it on the front panel quickly and easily within reach.

• Faster LFOs, as the current ones tend to alias at higher frequencies

• Scalable Virus Control PC user interface, to keep up with higher resolution screens.

• Standalone VSTi mode for noodling (rather than having to use something like Savihost. etc.)

• A Compressor/limiter, along with being able to chain effects in any order.

• 49-note Polar

• A partridge in a Virus TI Three. ;)

Come on, Access, give the guitar guys a well-earned rest and show some love to your original synth user base! <3

Merry Christmas to you all and best wishes for 2022.

• The free MODALapp brings the comfort of screen-based editing on your computer or mobile device. Available as a standalone app for macOS, Windows, iOS, iPadOS or Android systems and in VST3 and AU plug-in formats it is the perfect companion for synth enthusiasts looking to deep dive to all sound forming and performance parameters to create their own signature sounds, and to backup and manage patches and sequences.

I second that. Even double large displays are not nice to handle precise wave manipulation and preparation. I suggested VGA-screens to many keyboard manufactures early but still many do not see the necessarity. Since we have the PCs , at least direct access to a device should be given to change settings and such. To do this in real time in my syntch I added a VGA to most of my devices:

• Sorry to review old thread, but as you probably now Motorola/Freescale DSP 56K used by Virus TI is marked as end-of-life, so to release a new Virus
    Access Music would need to rewrite the whole thing from DSP 56K assembly to C/C++.

Are they doing that as we speak? Or did they abandon idea?

It would be nice to have a say from Access Music on that subject.

If Access Music abandoned the idea of making hardware synth successor to Virus TI line, what if we consider
    creating "Super Virus" on our own?

A NEW synth build written from scratch in C/C++ so it can be compiled to any popular ARM processor ?
    What if new synth retained ability to directly read patches from Virus TI, so all your existing TI patches would work without changes?
    What if new synth fixed areas that are not so great in existing line, such for example audio-rate modulations from LFOs and envelopes

(as Virus currently uses control rate of 1/64 of sample rate).

What if that code was able to run on inexpensive STM32 / NXP embedded ARM processors?

What do you think? Would anybody be interested in 2024?

Cheers,
    TJ

• Yes I have seen that web page. In my opinion emulation is a dead end road.

It is good only for people who are 100% happy with existing firmware.

The problem with DSP563xx emulation is that you are emulating the DSP running original firmware you gain absolutely nothing

versus having that hardware.

All limitations of existing firmware remain if you just emulate the DSP.

Besides it is illegal to use firmware without having bought actual hardware.

Other problems are inefficiency (you have to use hefty processor just to emulate 150MHz DSP), inability to run on cheap embedded hardware, etc.

If you write everything from scratch in C/C++, you are free to improve any aspect of the original, you can run on any hardware and it is perfectly legal because you are not using anybody's else code.

• If you write everything from scratch in C/C++, you are free to improve any aspect of the original, you can run on any hardware and it is perfectly legal because you are not using anybody's else code.

like Viper?

Viper - Adam Szabo | Official Website
    Overview Viper aims to deliver the sound characteristics of legendary hardware synthesizers in a vir
    www.adamszabo.com

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Yes like Viper !

Thank you very much indeed ozon for pointing me out to this great VST.

I wasn't aware of it and after listening to sound samples and AB comparisons it looks like very, very good emulation of Virus TI.

It might not be 100% accurate but probably as close as one can get.

You have saved me lots of programming and tweaking time. THANK YOU.

Now I see that the project I envisioned makes no sense as Viper is pretty much already existing Virus clone in form of VST.

So, I can now move on to thinking about something else....:-)