Polyphony, DSP

• Hello. Where to check current demand for polyphony, dsp ...
    I recently had a desktop ti2 os 5.1.1.0 and something seems to me with
    more power had my old powercore virus .... suspicious matter ;)
    thank you

• On the virus screen each time you load a patch on the top right corner you can see the "complexity" of the patch loaded. It sort of looks like a smart phone battery indicator :) It is out of 5, so for instance 5 lines would mean a very complex/demanding patch while 1 line would mean it's a simple patch. Hope this helps.

• I did some "Stress Testing" with my Snow and my TI Keyboard, some time ago. The Snow started to get out of synch with more than 3 patches, but the TI wasn't much better, maybe 5 or 6. Depends on patch complexity and arpeggiator use, of course.

EG

• Recently, I ran into a situation on my TI2 where adding a third sound (all of them mono, 2 to 4 bars on the meter) playing the same 16th note movement started to distort one of the sounds. The sound in question was a FM based "sequence ticker" patch with very fast Amp and Filter envelopes. It wasn't that the Virus ran out of voices or had problems with timing, but it started to "squash" or "smear" this particular sound, totally losing the definition and focus.

I guess there were simply too many calculations to be executed at the exact same moment.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Thank you, now man a little wiser ...And how do you see the power demand in the whole project? I can only use 3 of 16 and it's already stingy ...

You can't see how much CPU is being used for the entire machine.
    You can however be a bit careful with your patches. This is a nice thread: http://www.virus.info/forum/in…-of-your-Virus-Ti-or-Ti2/

The below is an extract from the manual, which may be also be of relevance and assistance:

About Polyphony The average number of voices the TI series (with its two DSPs) can deliver is quoted at about 80, with a maximum of more than 100. However, to reach such giddy heights, the TI makes very dynamic use of resources i.e. using certain features can lower polyphony to well below these figures. For instance, doubling the number of Unison voices e.g. from 3 to 6 will reduce polyphony by half. If you ever find you need to maximize polyphony (e.g. in Multi mode), try minimizing your use of the following “prime suspects” first: Unison mode, Reverb, Analog Filter models and Oscillator 3.

If you encounter patches' alteration like oli is mentioning above, or "note stealing", you are pushing it a bit too hard :)