How to make this Afrika Bambaataa sound?

• i've always wondered what this sound is, ever since i was a kid and loved listening to 80's b-boy music. then around the late 90's and early 00's you heard it in alot of freestyle and electro mainly (the real electro - electro breaks - not electro house).

The sound is layered over the kick drums so you hear it when the drums start @ 0:17. The first one might be hard to hear cuz the drums start off with a stab too, ignore the stab. It's also in the Afrika Bambaataa song Play At Your Own Risk

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Its also in this song @ 0:29 when the drums start:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

I've tried using a sine wave and pitch envelope, but I haven't been able to get very close to this sound.

• I'd start using filtered noise. Here are two patches to show the concept.
    The body of the kick is made with a sine wave, the "piuuu" sound is made with noise through filter with high resonance and some filter envelope movement.

Dateien

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Cool! Thanks for sharing back. Nice use of the LFO as envelope and different approach by changing the pitch instead of the resonant filter.

BTW, to change the amount of "squelch" on my patches using the hardware:
    - select FILT 2
    - change ENV AMOUNT

:)

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+