Probably the scrubbiest question ever.

• So, I'm very used to using softsynths, wherein I open one, program a sound, and if I want to use that softsynth of another sound, I just open another instance of that softsynth and start programming another sound and we're A-okay.

My Virus TI was given to me LONG ago by a guy I knew who was selling off stuff for personal reasons and I never really used it since at the time, it was a little beyond my skill level and knowledge base. Guess it still is to some extent?

So if I do the softsynth thing and just open another instance of it, obviously that doesn't work since I can only have one instance of Virus Control open per project. I see that I have sixteen slots for different patches available within Virus Control but I'm not having any luck getting it to switch between them.

I feel like I'm missing something really obvious here and would probably benefit from a more experienced TI user explaining this to me like I'm a four year old.

Thanks in advance.

• It would help if you let us know which DAW you are using. The big idea is that each of the 16 outs represents a midi channel. So you play each patch via its dedicated midi port and not through the actual plugin. Some softsynths also have this ability (i.e. more patches with just one instance - such as pretty much any spectrasonics synth) so maybe you already know how to do it.

Actually you can load 2 instances simultaneously, although you would need 2 viruses.

Meanwhile, I cannot believe you just let the virus sit there - blasphemy :)

• Oh, I knew I left something out. Logic 9.

And I know, I can't believe how long it just sat there either. Life in the way, just bouncing around rapidly from place to place. But I'm settled now, and finally got around to incorporating hardware into my studio. I always learn quick when I can really get into something but the basics here are a little wonky since I've not really incorporated hardware into my studio beyond my audio interface and microphone.