Problems with Cubase Render In Place

• Lately I started to "print" the finished synth tracks for several songs to audio, so we can keep working on the songs without the need of a Virus TI being available in every home studio. For exactly this purpose, Cubase offers a very nice function called "Render in Place" (AFAIK since verions 8). It does as it's name suggests: Internally render a MIDI track to audio and optionally mute or even replace the MIDI track.

Although this is a great feature, and is a huge time saver and no brainer to use with software synth-plugins, there are some issues with Virus Control which make the whole process quite tiresome. Normally, you'd ne able to start Render in Place for 10 tracks of a 4 minute song and get a perfectly finished result in about 40 minutes. In the mean time you could walk away and do something else. With Virus Control, it took me an average of 4 hours (!) for the same task, doing renderings over and over again, because something went wrong at random.

• Pretty often, a whole sequence, or just the beginning notes of a sequence (!) would be rendered too early by as much as a 1/32 note (@130 - 160 bpm). It happens about 4 out of 5 times for every but the first part, when Render in Place is called in mode "As Separate Events". Sometimes this happens even in the middle of a track after a good part of the song is rendered correctly. What I found to help sometimes is to change the MIDI parts to start 2 bars before the first note. However, it still happens then that the whole rendered sequence is playing too early.
    • Some percussive sounds always start 5-8 samples early. This is within an acceptable musical tolerance, but it is odd and requires the resulting audio tracks to be always sliced before the beat to avoid clicks. My observation is that this is the case especially for more complex sounds using FM, the fold distortion modes or recursive Envelope modulation.
    • Sometimes, clock synchronized LFOs are completely off. Either the musical time seems to be in "slow motion" or "frozen". In "slow motion", the LFO runs apparently smoothly but much slower than it should. If "frozen", the LFO is stuck to a certain position, and can then either go back to smooth or even do a sudden change to a different value, making it sound as if it was set to S&H instead of sine or triangle. In the examples there's an LFO for the patch going from "slow motion" to "frozen" and back to "slow motion".

All in all that means, that I have to compare the position of every note of a rendered sequence with it's original position in the MIDI part, and that I have to listen to all rendered parts to check for LFO issues. Which is far from what I would expect from Total Integration.

Here are some examples for the LFO issue. I'll post more if I find something which is clearly audible without having a other reference tracks.

Externer Inhalt soundcloud.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• New examples of Render in Place failing for the Virus TI, this time with the arpeggiator going out of sequence and being out of tempo.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• render in place isn't the way to record your virus tracks.....

instead route the output of your virus to a group track then use that group track as the iput of an audio track onto which you will record.... it's a bit of a long winded affair but it works perfectly whereas render in place doesn't if it works at all...

it's also recommended to turn off virus control when using render in place on other tracks as sometimes the DAW will think you are trying to render the virus tracks and put up a warning.....which is a pain if you left it to do it's thing and came back two hours later expecting it to be finished but it hasn't even started....i'm actually surprised you get any sound recorded at all when you use render in place on your virus tracks, i just get the warning box telling me 'external plugin is used, rendering must be done in real time'

it would be great if access could sort it to make it more user friendly but it doesn't seem likely