So.. Win 7 x64? or Win XP 32bit?

• I'm about to setup my new studio computer and wondering what to do here. Is the current beta of the software going to work well enough on Windows 7 x64? Or will it just be problematic?

Do I need to run Windows XP 32 bit and lose the extra Ram power on my computer just to have my new virus Ti working well? I really hope to see a finalized version of the software with Win 7 64bit soon. I just spent $3400 on my Virus and love it plus I use it as my main soundcard for running my moog voyager into so I really need it to run solidly for me.

• Unfortunately I would avoid Windows 7 if you've got the chance.

There are problems with the interface being laggy due to changes Microsoft made, and Access are apparently working on a fix but it's not easy, as it will require a significant re-write of existing code to change the way the VST is drawn.

I would personally go with 32bit XP or Vista SP2 and save yourself the heartache! Upgrade to Windows 7 in a years time. By then it surely will be a solid OS for a productive environment. I'm going to downgrade from x64 Windows 7 all the way back to XP next time I format, as I'm just sick of it not working 100% :(

Cheers

• this is pretty disappointing. Pretty major thing to not be able to properly run your virus on an OS that allows you more than 3.2GB of Ram. I mean look at Windows XP x64.. how long has 64bit OS been around for? no excuse for Access not to have solid 64bit compatible software. The virus is one of the most popular synths in electronic music.

• I'm running Windows 7 x64 using the TI Polar (3.3.0) and it works great!
    The VST interface is a bit slow but not as bad as some have described (at least not for me).
    I'm not using the TI as an audio interface, for that I'm using a Steinberg MR816 CSX.
    Anyway, I'm experiencing far fewer problems with Cubase 5 with Windows 7 than I did with XP Pro. I would never go back to using XP.

• I'm running Windows 7 x64 using the TI Polar (3.3.0) and it works great!
    The VST interface is a bit slow but not as bad as some have described (at least not for me).
    I'm not using the TI as an audio interface, for that I'm using a Steinberg MR816 CSX.
    Anyway, I'm experiencing far fewer problems with Cubase 5 with Windows 7 than I did with XP Pro. I would never go back to using XP.

Interesting, thanks for your insight.

• I am using win7 x64 and Cubase 5 latest update as host. Latest update x64 for my TI polar. Indead if you want to move your drawingboard it has a little lag but for the rest there are no problems at all!
    Ok i use a mad computer with superspeed, maybe thats the difference compared to others experiencing this lag.

If you are not using much other plugs from the good ol 32bit era then you are fine to go and try out the x64, but most other older vst's are not working properly for me (not legal ofcourse).

THe fine thing i realised when i used the 64 access plugin for the first time is that i finaly didn't get bottlenecked by the streaming capacity of the virus TI. Now it can have more reasons for me as i finaly use a solid state disk to operate from but i sill write my files to another disk that is just an ide. But i can just put 8 huge sounds with all kinds of effects in a track without any of them dropping even onces (haven't tried more yet).

Regards,

Stef

http://www.myspace.com/monoproductionstm

DAW: Cubase 5

MB: Asus Rampage Extreme
    RAM: 4x 2GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    CPU: Intel core 2 quad @ 3.0 GHz
    GPU: ATI EAH 4890 1GB
    Sound: t.c. eletronic Konnekt 8
    Monitoring: 2x KRK rp6 g2 + 1x KRK rp10s
    DSP: UAD, t.c. eletronic Powercore 6000 including virus powercore
    USB: Virus Ti Polar
    FW: Korg m3

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Monomeester ()