New Matrix Source: 100% constant

• Sometimes, it would be nice to have a 100% constant as Matrix source in combination with the assignable Soft Knobs to destinations set to Assign 3 Amounts.

This source value would be especially useful to fully access those parameters which are not directly available as control destinations for Soft Knobs.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• While I still would like to see the 100% constant value, I found a workaround using one of the additional envelopes 3/4 as a constant source:

• Set Envelope 4 to Attack: 0, Decay: 0, Sustain: 33.6%, Release: 127
    • Set up a Matrix slot (e.g.2) with Source: Envelope 4, Destination 1: <internal parameter>
    • Set up a Soft Knob to Assign 2 Amount 1

Now, Envelope 4 acts as constant value source for the Matrix.
    It seems that if the envelope is used as a source it can provide a range which is beyond 100%. I found that a Sustain value of 33.6% allows the Soft Knob controlling the Matrix assign amount to change the assigned parameter over the full range of 0 to 127.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Thanks!

There's one more way to achieve the same or similar result: Use LFO 1 or 2 as source. (Which were already described here Negative detune for OSC 1 or 2)

• Set LFO 1 Square wave, Rate 0, Envelope Mode ON
    • Set up a Matrix slot (e.g.2) with Source: LFO 1 unipolar, Destination 1: <internal parameter>
    • Set up a Soft Knob to Assign 2 Amount 1

So, depending on whether you have a spare envelope or a spare LFO, you can use either. I'd assume that the LFO probably uses less resources. However, using the LFO, there's no way to properly scale the amount and the Soft Knob will always control the full range within 64 steps (half the knob range).

BTW, there's one more option to get a similar result using an LFO without the Matrix:

• Set LFO 1 Square wave, Rate 0, Envelope Mode ON
    • Set up a LFO 1 Assign Amount: <internal parameter>
    • Set up a Soft Knob to LFO 1 > Assign Amount (usable range is from 0 to +63)

But these are workarounds which have their downsides. A 100% constant would be easier to use and preferrable.

• Oli, one question please from your opening statement:

"Sometimes, it would be nice to have a 100% constant as Matrix source in combination with the assignable Soft Knobs to destinations set to Assign 3 Amounts."

Why "Assign 3 Amounts"? Is it only because that assignment offers more amount slots (three) than Assigns 1,2,4, 5,& 6 that offer only one or two amount slots?
    Thanks!

• Is it only because that assignment offers more amount slots (three) than Assigns 1,2,4, 5,& 6 that offer only one or two amount slots?

Exactly! And the original idea came from adjusting poitive or negative detune for the 3 oscillators.

• Some time ago I found another way to get a 100% (or actually any value) constant as Mod Matrix Source: If the ARP is not used for anything else (which is the case for 99% of my patches), then the Arp can be used to produce a constant value.

There are two ways to achieve this:

1. If the ARP has not yet been touched at all (Arp OFF), just go to the Mod Matrix and select "Arp Input" as source where you want a 100% constant.
    2. If the ARP has already been activated, or if you want less than 100% value,
      1. In the Mod Matrix select "Arp Input" as source where you want a constant input
      2. Activate the Arp to "Arp>Matrix"
      3. Reduce pattern length to one step, thus using the first step as the value generator only
      4. Adjust value of the first step to your liking

This is actually pretty easy to use and way more flexible than a fixed 100% value, however I still would appreciate the 100% constant for the sake of simplicity and usability.

PS: The step value of 64 is the exact middle and equals 0 for some parameters.

• Good stuff , can you enlighten me on when and why you would use constant’ as mods sources to certain parameters, still abit in the dark about that , few examples or situations ... cheers

Some parameters are not available as Soft Knob destinations, but as MOD Matrix destinations. However, the MOD Matrix slots can always be used as Soft Knob destinations. This combination therefore allows a Soft Knob to adjust the amount of a Matrix slot influencing a parameter. With a 100% MOD source, the Matrix slot covers the full range of the parameter.

Thus, the MOD Matrix can be used to route Soft Knobs to more destinations.

• Thats great but , my question was regarding the use of ‘constant’ and what you would apply it on and why

That's what I tried to explain in my answer.

- some destinations are not available for Soft Knobs

- those destinations are available for the MOD Matrix

- the MOD Matrix slots are available as destinations for Soft Knobs

- a (100%) constant can be used as source for the MOD Matrix

--> in this way the MOD Matrix can be used to redirect Soft Knobs to all available destinations

An example:

Assume you want to control the Distortion Mix during a performance. Unfortunately, the Type/Mix Knob is hard wired to Distortion Type and there's no way to change that. Now you go for the Soft Knobs, there you can assign any parameter, right? Wrong. Some are missing. And Distortion Mix is one of those missing parameters. However, oddly enough, the destination Distortion Mix is available in the MOD Matrix. So how to set that up.

- Go to MOD Matrix

- Set Slot 4 Assigment 1 to Distortion Mix

- Go to Common / Soft Knobs

- Set Destination 1 to Assign 4 Amount 1

- Go to the Distortion (set up a healthy distortion you can really hear well)

- Set Distortion Mix to 50%

But now, there's still nothing happening with the Distortion Mix, because we only set up an attenuator but the actual control signal is missing in the MOD Matrix. However, since the MOD Slot Input is by default set to Mod Wheel, you can control the Distortion Mix with the Mod Wheel.

Now try the following:

- Go to MOD Matrix

- Set Slot 4 Input to 10% Constant

Now, the Distortion Mix is controlled by the Soft Knob 1, but only for 10% of its range. But we may want to have the full range available.

So here's where any of the above 100% tricks comes into play. Let's apply the ARP trick.

- Got to the MOD Matrix

- Set Slot 4 Input to Arp Input

- Go to the ARP

- Set Mode to Up (or anything but Off)

- Change first Step to full height (127)

- Set Mode to Off

This should allow us to control the whole rage of the Distortion Mix via Soft Knob 1.

Hope this explains it better.

• Hey guys, I haven't posted in a while - hope everyone is getting along safely!

Oli, how about you control distortion mix using the internal virus controllers? I managed to get it working - provided I understood your issue correctly...

-Set Distortion type to anything

-Set Distortion mix to 0

-Matrix - Slot 5 - set source to Controller 15

-Matrix - Slot 5 - set destination slot 1 to Distortion mix. Set amount to +63 (full right)

-Under the common page, set soft knob 1 destination to Control 15

-For fun, give it the name "Destroy"

Also tested with the vowel filter frequency, works like a charm!

I'm not saying that a 100% constant wouldn't have been nice but the above workaround is possible.

• Oli, how about you control distortion mix using the internal virus controllers? I managed to get it working - provided I understood your issue correctly...

Hey Psylence, good to see you!

That's a good workaround as well, but there is one major drawback:

The "Controller" destinations match actual MIDI Controllers (MIDI Controller Events) and in contrast to the "real" Soft Knob destinations, there is no initial value saved so the patch always is loaded with value 0 for e.g. Distortion Mix.

• Heh - didn't even realize, as I use my workaround for sound design purposes - really fun when 2 or more parameters are linked on the same controller. The parameter initializing is definitely an issue for performers. Kinda sucks! At least when you press "edit" on the distortion section the distortion mix is right there on page one, probably what I would be doing if I were a performer.