Restart option for phaser's LFO

• Hooray 100th post!
    Indeed that would be nice, and indeed it is free running.
    There are two ways to get around this:
    1. use LFO 1 or 2 (or matrix linked to LFO 1 or 2). Sadly this supersedes the purpose of the dedicated phaser LFO but it gets the job done, especially if your phaser LFO rate is slow.
    2. Set phaser LFO rate to 0 and control phaser feedback manually.
    Personally I never used the phaser LFO for the the exact same reason as your post concern. I always use method 2. Another benefit of method 2 is that you can get very very creative, especially with lead sounds - let alone the fact that I am, admittedly, a control freak.
    M.

• "Right now it is free running (I think), which makes your patch sound different each time you load it."
    It is free running as Psylence noted, but it wouldn't make your whole patch sound different I would think, just each note as you play.
    Haven't tried it myself but I would suggest this work-around, similar to Psylence's but slightly different:
    Turn the Phaser LFO speed to zero (assuming that means "off") and in the Matrix assign an LFO with a Trigger Phase of 1, (or an Envelope) as the source with Phaser Depth as the destination.
    Hope that helps! :)

• envelopes are per voice, you cannot control a phaser (which is per part) that way. you need to use an LFO in mono mode.

Funny, I ran into that just yesterday evening. What about "Mono mode" option for Envelopes (3,4)?

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• "you need to use an LFO in mono mode."

Since the original poster needs a fixed start point for the phaser cycle, I don't think a mono LFO would work here according to the manual. Maybe an LFO in Env Mode or why not an LFO in normal Poly mode as I suggested so the Trigger Phase can be utilized?

• might work as well, i was referring to LFOs because we are talking about the phaser

sorry, I think I didn't express myself properly: I was referring to modulating the Phaser as well and thought it would be great to have a new "Mono Mode" option for the Envelopes 3/4. Maybe with the capability of hold and re-trigger variants. So that would be a feature request for the Envelopes.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• "you need to use an LFO in mono mode."

Since the original poster needs a fixed start point for the phaser cycle, I don't think a mono LFO would work here according to the manual. Maybe an LFO in Env Mode or why not an LFO in normal Poly mode as I suggested so the Trigger Phase can be utilized?

LFO with Mono mode works well, and still have the trigger phase option. Also cool: LFO Mono synced to the beat.

• "LFO with Mono mode works well, and still have the trigger phase option"
    Maybe I'm not understanding something here, but from the manual:
    "Mode.- Mono- All the voices share a common LFO. Only applies if the parameters Envelope Mode and Trigger Phase are both set to "Off".
    I know on Blofeld you cannot use start phase and mono mode at the same time which makes sense when you think about it. On the Virus the manual also states that you can however use Trigger Phase with LFO Envelope Mode.

• Maybe I'm not understanding something here, but from the manual:
    "Mode.- Mono- All the voices share a common LFO. Only applies if the parameters Envelope Mode and Trigger Phase are both set to "Off".
    I know on Blofeld you cannot use start phase and mono mode at the same time which makes sense when you think about it. On the Virus the manual also states that you can however use Trigger Phase with LFO Envelope Mode.

You're right. I wasn't aware of that! And I didn't hear that the LFO actually is polyphonic because of the type of sound, playing and destination I tried it with. However, IME using the LFO to modulate the Phaser frequency works even if the LFO polyphonic.

Maybe @Marc could chime in with additional information on how the (polyphonic) LFOs are applied to modulation destinations which are mono.

• Maybe Marc could chime in with additional information on how the (polyphonic) LFOs are applied to modulation destinations which are mono.

from the top of my head, they're simply not applied at all. unfortunately the mod matrix doesn't reflect this but that's nothing we will be able to change. maybe something happens with some destinations (i wouldn't be able to rule that out) but the result would be just weird or a happy accident, depending on the way you look at it ;)

• Hey thanks for your replies and suggestions everyone.

The question is about the "depth" parameter of the Phaser LFo.

According to the manual it modulates the phaser frequency, but I'm not sure, maybe there's something else, because it sounds different with an external LFO.

• c4mil, you're welcome! Actually, discussions like these help all of us! However, the question on your original post was about having a restart option for the phaser's LFO which I think we've covered now.
    Phaser Frequency and Phaser Mod Depth on the other hand, are separate available destinations in the Mod Matrix. Try'em both and check your results. Also, for the MM source LFO, try different waveforms, usually sine or tri for this application, and see what matches your expectations.
    Cheers!

• from the top of my head, they're simply not applied at all. unfortunately the mod matrix doesn't reflect this but that's nothing we will be able to change. maybe something happens with some destinations (i wouldn't be able to rule that out) but the result would be just weird or a happy accident, depending on the way you look at it ;)

I did a couple of tests and found something quite interesting: An LFO 1/2 assigned to Phaser Frequency is always applied, regardless whether the LFO is in Poly/Mono//Env Mode, Clocked or uses Trigger. It behaves as if the LFO is strictly Mono in all cases. Quite consistent and useful! :)

According to the manual it modulates the phaser frequency, but I'm not sure, maybe there's something else, because it sounds different with an external LFO.

The Phaser LFO is unipolar, while the standard LFOs generally applied bipolar. Try using the standard LFOs as unipolar source in the Modulation Matrix, route them to Phaser Frequency and adjust the amount there. That way it will sound pretty much identical to the Phaser LFO.