A modern preset sorting/management feature on Virus Control plugin

• I'm sure this has been requested before, but Virus Control desperately needs some type of preset sorting/management tab. It's incredibly hard to find presets on the Virus because there are so many of them and most of them have random names. I'd love to be able to click on a "bass" button and have an entire list full of bass sounds only (from all my soundbanks, including third party). Alchemy has a great preset management tab and it would be great if you guys did something similar. I'm not asking to map all existing presets (there are thousands, it would take years), but at least add the option so people could start using it. Future soundbanks would be much more organized and presets would be a lot easier to find.

[Blockierte Grafik: https://i.imgur.com/a34dfvP.jpg]
    Thanks

• I'd love to be able to click on a "bass" button and have an entire list full of bass sounds only (from all my soundbanks, including third party).

This is already available. Even on the hardware. It's called Categories.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• This is already available. Even on the hardware. It's called Categories.

But it's really unorganized and nothing like the example I posted. And I'm not even sure if these categories are really showing presets from all the third party banks I have installed. It's just dated and it needs an update.

• But it's really unorganized and nothing like the example I posted.

Ah. From your first post, I thought you weren't aware of the Categories at all.

And I'm not even sure if these categories are really showing presets from all the third party banks I have installed.

Yes, they do. I use that every now and then. But many sounds are not properly categorized. And there is not easy way to change categories.

It's just dated and it needs an update.

A company very dedicated to sound browsing via categories is Native Instruments. They have literally decades of experience, and even developed specialized software and hardware products for that purpose (Kore, Komplete Kontrol). However, even with their very detailed and well applied system, I often have a hard time finding sounds according to the available categories. Sombody's "lead" might be somebody else's "bass". And how do you tag a nasty ("bright") evil ("dark") sound. At least NI products allow to add your own categories to the available hierarchy.

There are a couple of areas where the Virus VC Brower could be improved with great benefit:

• Applying categories to multiply sounds without having to edit and save each sound individually
    • More categories or even better
    • Custom categories
    • Hierarchical categories
    • No limit on the number of assigned categories per sound

However, to me it would be much more helpful to have longer patch names that full fledged categories. If names could be 60 characters long, they could be a lot more descriptive. Even 30 characters would probably be sufficient. Another great thing would be something like Native Instrument's Vendor / Product / Bank / Info fields.

Maby the VC plugin could be converted to NKS. Then all the existing features of Komplete Kontrol were available for Virus sounds.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+