Wavetable Ramblings

• Hi all,
    Well, it seems like there’s always plenty of posts regarding malfunction frustrations of the Virus, mostly involving its TI aspect, but I enjoy more seeing posts of the fun research discoveries that Virus users occasionally share with the forum. So, to lighten things up a little, I would like to convey some of my personal deductions of my own explorations of my favorite facet of the TI2- the wavetables. Of course, everyone has their own frame of reference as to how the Virus’s abilities should be applied, so the data presented here can be considered entirely subjective and your mileage may vary. However, I have spent quite a lot of time with this endeavor and my findings may actually have some merit to some of you after all.
    I love Access’s wavetables. I also love PPG/Waldorf’s wavetables which seem to be mostly pragmatic, while Access’s seem to be more artistically oriented. Other than the enigmatic, discontinued Fizmo and Novation’s sophomoric UltraNova, these appear to be the only two sources of wavetables currently available in hardware format (the Sledge and Solaris synths' tables are licensed from Waldorf, by the way). And also by the way, I cringe when I read a synth company referring to a single-cycle spectral wave or a wave bank as a “wavetable”, i.e. Nord Wave etc.!
    So, I auditioned all 99 (100 if you count the first, single sine table) of the Virus TI2 wavetables with each of the wavetable oscillator modes (with just one osc, open filter, conventional amp envelope, no effects, etc.) using the main three typical index modulation sources- lfo (for pads), envelope (for leads/solos) and keytrack (for formant voices). Good basic platforms for creating complex patches!
    What I found was that the normal wavetable oscillator modulated by a triwave lfo at a nominal rate and amount was the winner in effectively utilizing the most wavetables, about 15 listed upon request, for creating nice, interesting evolving pads. Remember, this is all just my personal preferences that I’m sharing.
    Conversely, I found six wavetables that were the most usable in almost any wavetable osc/ index mod configuration, those being, in order of menu appearance: Insine Out, Upsine Down, Hotch Potch, Partialism, Prismism, and Whizzfizz. The wavetable osc that could produce usable results from the most (5) of these six tables was the Simple Graintable osc with an lfo mod, Partialism being the odd man out. I’m sure all the other tables and mod sources that didn’t make my lists probably have useful purposes for other various applications, but I’m certainly not quite the master programmer yet!
    So, forgive me if I’ve just been rambling on too long; I needed a good way to spend a stormy evening! Please feel free to contribute your viewpoints, opinions and findings to this subject of wavetables. We may all learn something useful about one of the TI2’s most important features!

Cheers! :)

• Hi
    One of my favorite wavetable is Octavius. It is siimply sawtooth, but it sounds better than DCO's sawtooth. It is quite nice for 'analogish-type" sounds. I owned Micro Q and I must say I prefer Virus wavetables. As You said - very musical.

Cheers!

• Great topic!

OTTOMH, I liked Eat Pulse (to be used for Pulse waves with Phase Mod), Hotch Potch, Throaty, Voxinox... but gotta check when in front of VC.

Here's a great resource regarding the Virus waves and wavetables:
    Access Virus Spectral Waveforms & Wavetables Analyzed!

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Thanks for your input, Oli! And thank you for the great link!
    Interesting note: on the Wavetable Sonogram Analysis chart in the link, I am seeing some names of tables I don't recognize; I'll have to check. I wonder if maybe Access revised the set since this chart was made?

• "no, as far as I can remember the tables were never revised"

Apparently correct, as the reason I didn't recognize some of them is that now I see several of them are just misspelled, granted this is an independent study. However, for the researcher to list "Sooty Sweep" and then also list it again misspelled as "Dooty Sweep" making a total of 99 tables in this chart (not including "Sine") makes me believe that one table got overlooked and I'm definitely not going to spend the time to figure out, if so, which one! :)

• Most probably there's a revised version of these available: I have a paper copy of a PDF stored under my Darkstar for reference and am pretty sure that all tables are included with correct spelling.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• [...], as the reason I didn't recognize some of them is that now I see several of them are just misspelled, granted this is an independent study. However, for the researcher to list "Sooty Sweep" and then also list it again misspelled as "Dooty Sweep" making a total of 99 tables in this chart (not including "Sine") makes me believe that one table got overlooked and I'm definitely not going to spend the time to figure out, if so, which one! :)

Indeed, you're right...

Most probably there's a revised version of these available: I have a paper copy of a PDF stored under my Darkstar for reference and am pretty sure that all tables are included with correct spelling.

...and I was wrong! My copy has the same mistakes you're mentioning.

The reason why I thought all names match is that the list is alphabetic but the sequence of wavetables in the Virus is not. And since I never went through the whole list one by one, but instead look up a sonogram on the list for a Wavetable I selected on the Virus, it never occurred to me that the list might have missing or redundant information. Duh! :/

BTW, I'd love to have high resolution versions of those sonograms! Plus waveform pictures of all the waves in the wavetables.

• "...and I was wrong! My copy has the same mistakes you're mentioning."
    Thanks for checking , Oli!

"BTW, I'd love to have high resolution versions of those sonograms! Plus waveform pictures of all the waves in the wavetables."
    That would be nice, along with a statement of purpose with suggested index modulation source for each wavetable which Access should have included in the reference manual. Plus showing up on the screen numbered or at least in alphabetical order! ;)

• That would be nice, along with a statement of purpose with suggested index modulation source for each wavetable which Access should have included in the reference manual. Plus showing up on the screen numbered or at least in alphabetical order! ;)

Showing up on the screen (VC on Mac OS and on the Virus itself) in alphabetical order would be immensly helpful!

• However, for the researcher to list "Sooty Sweep" and then also list it again misspelled as "Dooty Sweep" making a total of 99 tables in this chart (not including "Sine") makes me believe that one table got overlooked and I'm definitely not going to spend the time to figure out, if so, which one! :)

Went through the whole list of Wavetables on the Virus and tried to find every one in the list. The one I couldn't find was "Friction" Also, "Bump Sweep" is misspelled as "Cump Sweep" which gave me a hard to find as well. All the others are available, some with typos, but easy to find.

However, I have no idea whether the sonograms are correct. And, although I'm very thankful for the list, I find little use for sonograms when looking for a particular spectrum while doing sound design. Most probably due to lack of knowledge.