Virus control & midi

• Hi !

I'm a bit desapointed by my Virus TI I've got since 1.5 month. It's a fantastic synth, no problemo ! But I'm fed up with some cracking noise when using it with its vst control. I tried with the Virus HC editor but it doesn't recall presets correctly and I loose the 3 stereo USB outputs. But by using the Virus only via midi = no glitch crack sounds... ;(

The other really annoying issue with the Virus controler is the huge difference of timing between a sound outputing thru USB and the other thru one of its anazlog output !! Up to 50 ms ! And the really bad thing is that this timing shift in sound is never the same ! It goes from 25ms, up to 50 ms with 512 buffer size ! So outputing percussive sound thru analog outputs is never in time ! X(
    If at least the timing shift would always be the same, I could handle with that.

In fact, I'm totally amazed that my virus TI desktop + its Virus control doesn't work as well as my powercore Virus ! =O=O8|:wacko:

Another workaround would be to still use the Virus control AND having the possibility to set particular part to the synth midi input. But apparently, when the virus control is launched in the daw, there is no way to control the synth in other mode than 'seq mode'.

Am I wrong ? I wish there is a workaround !! Thanks a lot for any info ! :)

• The other really annoying issue with the Virus controler is the huge difference of timing between a sound outputing thru USB and the other thru one of its anazlog output !! Up to 50 ms ! And the really bad thing is that this timing shift in sound is never the same ! It goes from 25ms, up to 50 ms with 512 buffer size ! So outputing percussive sound thru analog outputs is never in time !
    If at least the timing shift would always be the same, I could handle with that.

that's well documented and totally normal. please use the USB "outputs" instead. as for the crackling you discover i'd recommend you to contact support by email. they'll help you to solve the issue.

• In fact, I'm totally amazed that my virus TI desktop + its Virus control doesn't work as well as my powercore Virus ! =O=O8|:wacko:

That’s quite logical. PowerCore communicates over FireWire or PCI. Those are high speed buses with real time capable protocols. Virus TI uses USB (1.1), which was never intended to work for real time data transfer such as multi channel audio streaming. USB should never have been used for any pro audio gear.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• That’s quite logical. PowerCore communicates over FireWire or PCI. Those are high speed buses with real time capable protocols. Virus TI uses USB (1.1), which was never intended to work for real time data transfer such as multi channel audio streaming. USB should never have been used for any pro audio gear.

I've been telling people this for years about the Virus on the old forum. Their answer was to blame chipsets, usb cards..blah blah.

Fact is USB 1 should have NEVER been used.

• USB 2 was available, robust and saturated at time of the TI release.
    • USB 3 was relatively new when the TI2 was released....

Either way they would have been MUCH more reliable and cohesive with DAWs if they had USB 2.0 and above.
    Absolute FAIL on the part of access.
    That said, I still use my TI2 and C. The sounds are amazing but the product could've had smoother integration.

PCWS: i7 3930k | Corsair H100 | Sapphire HD7950 Dual X | 64GB Patriot Viper III DDR3 1866 | MSI BigBang XPower II | 8xSamsung EVO=19TB + 2xWD4001=8TB HDD | Enermax 1200w 80+Platinum | CM Cosmos II

Cubits: Cubase 12.0.7 | CMC-TP · CH · PD · AI · QC · FDx2

Main Gear: Access Virus Ti · Virus C | Maschine Studio · Jam | Korg Triton pro 76 | Novation SL MKII | MOTU MidiXT | Roland XV-5080 · JV-2080 · TR-8 · TB-3 · VT-3 | Goliath HD | Barefoot MM27Gen2 | Mackie HR824 | Yamaha AW4416

• @theRoyal1 the virus ti uses USB2 with a speed of 12mbit/s. are we really about to discuss this again? and, why we are discussing this here? the powercore has no analog outputs, so there cannot be a delay for obvious reasons. the crackling, i'm sure we JoPo can get rid off, many others have as well.

Because the previous poster mentioned it...and the original poster is talking about Virus Ti USB. So it's all relevant. Right?
    The USB port is compatible with the USB 2.0 Specification with a Port speed of 12 mbit/sec. WHICH IS USB1.1 Speed.
    So it's USB 2.0 with USB 1.1 speed....Those are FACTs.
    If you wanna call it 2.0 because of the protocol, fine but dressing a horse cart with racing stripes doesn't qualify for Formula 1.
    So if a few of us are calling it 1.1 it's for factual reasons not because we are just making it up.

JOPO, afa the Crackling Issue, Try setting up your Ti with higher buffer settings. I originally could set mine at 512mb safely. If I tried higher I would get a popup warning saying the Virus can't. I recently have gone full 64-bit and noticed I can get up to 1024. idk If this is because of that + Latest Virus/Soundcard drivers or just new settings in my DAW.....(MOTU 2408mk3/Cubase)
    I also use all 3 USBs as I have a preset for the Virus created in my DAW so It's always ready to go without having to set it up each time.
    ftr, I never bothered with that HC editor because many people reported problems and I wasn't about to attempt tackling one problem with another...

The other thing is what soundcard/setup/DAW are you using?
    -In Cubase there's a setting to shift the latency. Maybe in other DAW's too, idk.
    -There is also a button on the Ti GUI that says "live" which helps in some situations.

When you get it working, It's heavenly but getting there will take trial and error.

PCWS: i7 3930k | Corsair H100 | Sapphire HD7950 Dual X | 64GB Patriot Viper III DDR3 1866 | MSI BigBang XPower II | 8xSamsung EVO=19TB + 2xWD4001=8TB HDD | Enermax 1200w 80+Platinum | CM Cosmos II

Cubits: Cubase 12.0.7 | CMC-TP · CH · PD · AI · QC · FDx2

Main Gear: Access Virus Ti · Virus C | Maschine Studio · Jam | Korg Triton pro 76 | Novation SL MKII | MOTU MidiXT | Roland XV-5080 · JV-2080 · TR-8 · TB-3 · VT-3 | Goliath HD | Barefoot MM27Gen2 | Mackie HR824 | Yamaha AW4416

• why does it work fine for me matey?

Because you‘re a genious with a degree in rocket science... :D

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+