iPad Patch Editor for Virus TI (TOUCH for VIRUS)

• Thank you Maarten for your amazing Snow editor, I’m using a iConnect4+ interface with a air iPad and works great. I don’t know if other editors have section presets, but this feature is genius and makes editing a joy. There are a couple of improvements I’d like to see, in the mod matrix section I’d like to see a numeric value on mod depth parameter and is there a way I could easily reset a fader to it’s default value or zero?

• Hello,

I have a Ti Polar, a Ti2 Desktop and a KC.
    I use an iPad pro with cabled midi connection.
    If you need a tester please pm me.

Thanks

Ray

Ti Polar, Ti2 Desktop, KC
    Synthstrom Deluge
    Roland TR-08 , TR-09 , TB-03, SH-01a
    Boss MD-500
    Midi Fighter Twister
    DAWless

• Thank you Maarten for your amazing Snow editor, I’m using a iConnect4+ interface with a air iPad and works great. I don’t know if other editors have section presets, but this feature is genius and makes editing a joy. There are a couple of improvements I’d like to see, in the mod matrix section I’d like to see a numeric value on mod depth parameter and is there a way I could easily reset a fader to it’s default value or zero?

Are you connecting to the Virus and using the app just through the IConnect4? I have one of those, if that's what you're doing, could you please tell me how you set it up to do that?

• Hi everybody!

Thanks, but I'm not looking for anymore tester really. The app has been released some months ago, and no crashes has been reported, no serious complaints etc. So it seems to work like it should.
    Maybe someone has some very obscure midi interface, which could or could not work well with the app. In such a case I could give beta access to give it a try before you buy. But i do not consider that beta testing.

@'bobborries :thanks for the ideas. they sound do-able to me for the after-summer-release. I wil have a look at it. For now there is no functionality to reset sliders to zero, ofcourse you can do it by hand, but I understand your question. I think it will be a double tab on the fader to reset it to zero or something. Maybe I can get this working for knobs too. I wil also find a way to show the value, dispite the lack of space around the slider. It may be only visible above the sliderwhen you touch it, but maybe i find a way to always show it. Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it!

• Hi,

Today version 1.2 has been released in the app store. Adding:
    - support for MULTI mode (and seq mode).
    - improved Mod Matrix: values are displayed next to the amount sliders, as requested by @bobborries.
    - There also is a new gesture for all knobs, and faders in the mod matrix: a double tap will reset the control to its default value.

• You're welcome!
    But for Android and Windows versions I leave the stage for someone else to do the job.
    Coding TOUCH for VIRUS was intended to be a short sideproject, but took way more time than I anticipated.
    I'd rather play with my brand new Subsequent instead ;)

• This app is super fun, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something (to be fair I've only had a quick play with it before I had to go back to parental duties).

Is there any way to read the patches that are already in my Snow and store them in the app (where, for instance, I can tweak them further and then hopefully load up the new tweaked version), and is there any way to store patches created in the app in the RAM on the Snow? I'm guessing that I can't write to the ROM at all with the app seeing as it's not official and everything - that's no drama.

At the moment my setup is Octatrack as a sequencer into a midi patchbay, and that sends out about 5 channels of midi to my modular, the virus, and a couple of other synths. I'm already not using the computer (and want to remain that way) but unless I'm missing something, I can't store patches created in the app on the synth? If not I'd really like it if you could add that, and if you can already do that, can you tell me how to because I'm obviously a bit slow today! (just to be clear I have the full version, not the demo one linked a couple of posts above)

Even if you can't, it's still loads of fun - thanks for the effort of creating it!

• Hi DJTitan,

Nice to hear you're having fun with the app! that makes my day!
    Sending patches from the virus to the app is the most requested new feature. So I'll try to come up with something, but can't say when, and maybe I fail to make that work. There are some difficulties to overcome which makes it hard to make promises. But it would make a lot of people happy, so i'll try.

Sending patches from the app towards the Virus is what the app already does. otherwise it couldn't work. The only thing you cannot do with the app is saving it. So as soon as you finished a new "epic and game changing" patch, you should hit that "Save" button on the Virus itself, just like you would have done when you would have programmed that patch on the Virus itself. You probably also might want to rename the patch). That's it!

• Of course it does - derp. As I say - I only had a quick crack at it last night when I got the last bit of hardware I needed. The work around I came up with was using a sysex librarian on my (android) phone which allows me to save patch presets of multis from the virus and quickly recall it, which is ok given i've got a large library of stuff i've built over the years, but there's no editing of anything apart from what I can do on the Snow/on the computer itself, which I want to get away from. obviously that's where your app comes in as it lets me do the editing etc.

I understand the time frames and reluctance to promise anything, so no drama there. It would be much appreciated, but obviously you've got your life to live and things to do. Even if you can upload patches (the .mid files) off a computer in to the app through itunes or something like that if pulling them off the virus itself is too difficult... but I know nothing about app programming so have no idea how this is done.

Thanks again for your efforts! I've got the next week off work so i look forward to making the best multi patch in the history of time ever.

I also genuinely appreciate the responsiveness of you on the forum to answering peoples questions regarding this app. Have a great weekend!

• Very interesting post

First Want to thank a lot Maarten for is good work on app reaaallllyyyy good !

Second very intérested by the Way you use il with usb to midi and blutooth midi.

Questions :

Why you need an external keyboard , why not using only keyboard app directly to blutooth midi (in virus) ?

Do you have a solution to get back audio signal of virus to iPad ?

That with good sync and possibility to play with your app at the same Time ?

To simplify i Want to have your app, audio and midi sync without computer, Any idéa someone ?

See you Musicians

• "Iten Not Available

The item you've requested is not currently available in the U.S. store."

NEVER MIND..! Got it!

Virus TI 1 Desktop / SH-101 & TB-303 w Quicksilver / EMU Morpheus & Ultra Proteus / Komplete Kontrol S61 & MPC LIVE2 / Ableton 11 & Resolume Arena / Mac M3 w Fireface UFX+

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von NWOL ()

• Hi LF2600 !

Thank for your enthousiasm!!

You ar able to use a keyboard app, or Something like Cubasis, along with the app, to 'play' on the virus Snow. So there is no need to have a hardware keyboard.

receiving audio back from the virus is something I never researched or considered. Could you sketch me why this could be usefull?

What kind of workflow?

Could it be similar to have TOUCH for VIRUS as plugin in Cubasis for example?

• hi Maarten,

thanks for answer and advices

My worflow is :

mix and work all in my ipad (lots of pro app now), specially perfect making music in travel.

But i love my virus also, have two of them snow and desktop, that s why i really like your app.

So i want to mix the audio sound of virus directly in ipad. BM3 Daw for me. no comp !

i know some audio cards can do that sync midi and audio at same time (iconnect audio ; ik pro duo etc...)

But they still to big for me. JUST Ipad and Virus and a power bank with 5v to 12v cable, that all i need.

i'm also working on another solution with my GPD win 2, tiny and powerfull PC with full TI ability.

But this method, its one more gear in my lungage...

i have an old second ipad that i consired to dedicate only to your app !

• Hi LF2600,

As I understand you want to 'record' the sound of a Virus with some daw app on your iPad.

For as far as i know, but i could be wrong, you can connect the synth with usb to an iPAd, and use it as audio out.

But in Cubasis I do not see how to record sound from the Virus. I do not see some kind of "Virus TI input" which can be selected.

I would advise you to start a thread about this on this forum.

I still do not understand one thing. Let's say for the moment that my app can receive back sound from the Virus TI. What do you expect my app to do with it?

If you want to record it, you could better use a daw-app to do that. I'm not able to build a whole new daw for you ;)

• By the way:

version 1.3 is on it's way to the app store, see what's new:

- In-app patch names are now send to the Virus TI so they can be displayed on the device, and easely saved with that name.

- Controller changes send by Virus TI are now recognized and processed: which means: page A (cc) , and page B (polypressure). Still no sysex (page C and D)

- Improved, less distracting navigation

Receiving Sysex still does not work. I did a lot of research and experiments to get around the sysex bugs in Audiokit, (a framework I use to deal with MIDI data) but still no luck. But i do not give.

I was just wondering. I could put some efford in porting the app to macOS. Is there anybody who could see any use for that? Let me know!

• Hi Maarten,

So cool to update app, personally i'm waiting in app keyboard and midi learn...

THIS TIME FOUND MY GRAAL JUST IPAD AND VIRUS

I bought irig 2, tinyest i found, can be plug into headphone mini jack to get back audio of Virus

So lightning port is free for midi, play your app and send all sort midi data to Virus.

i can also play with all midi ipad toys (step sequencers ; multi keyboards and wired apps...).

All that can be recorded (in live !) direcly in my ipad Daw Beat maker 3.

I' M IN HEAVEN...