a new Virus or what? Valkyrie

• Access did not make Virus TI3 so perhaps someone else did...

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• Oh no no no no don't do this to me I currently don't have space here even for a TB303...

It definitely thinks it's a virus, I mean look at the design and the knobs are probably the same. Not as fat sounding as a virus, wonder how much it will be priced. Wouldn't say it has a distinct character, which may be good or bad. No WT import! Start up company, hmmmm...even if I get it, I definitely won't be an early adopter.

Even one of their demo songs funnily enough is called "dark star"...

• From the specs:
    "Dual PCM wavetables provide you with 4,096 waves"
    Too many waves per too few tables. I suspect these are not really wavetables in the classic sense, but rather two banks of unrelated spectral waves. If so, I wonder if it will provide any kind of index modulation or wave sequencing? But really....4,096 waves?? Are they sure that's enough? ;)And will they be grouped into manageable categories?
    "2 groups of 5 oscillators per voice"
    For me, any more than 3 oscillators is overkill unless you are going for multi-timbral single patches.
    And its ugly, but hey, I'm Mr. Superficial. ;)
    If some like it that's ok, but I'm perfectly happy with my TI2, thank you. :)

• What a massively bad ripoff !!!
    even the same fonts on the layout same names for things same knobs same pots...,.
    and totally not impressed by the sound.
    sounds a bit like beta version of a bad vst....
    nice try but far off from a Virus !

• Nice, but.... 8 part multitimbral (for a 1280voice synth) and USB 2.0? seriously? :facepalm:

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Access did not make Virus TI3 so perhaps someone else did...

Although the initial consensus around here about this new synth appears unfavorable, I still appreciate Ecaroh giving us the heads up on it as I always appreciate being made aware of new equipment coming on the scene. Thanks Ecaroh! :thumbup:

• I listened to all demos & even if some sounds really similar to a Virus, other sounds bring to my mind the Blofeld and Microwave XT...not a Virus clone, a great synth, but personally something I don't need right now.

-Windows 10 Pro 64bit DAW (Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero + i9-9900)

-Steinberg Cubase 10 + Steinberg CC121 Controller
    -Steinberg MR816 CSX + Behringer ADA8200
    -iConnectivity MIO10
    -Virus TI2 P0lar
    -Waldorf Pulse (1)
    -Waldorf Blofeld

-Yamaha AN1x
    -Yamaha Reface DX
    -Clavia Nord Modular G1 Expanded

-Moog Minitaur
    -Maschine MK3

-Elektron Octatrack MKII

-Adam A7X
    https://soundcloud.com/daksha

• IMO it's kind of a strange strategy that Access have decided to nothing with their Virus line, they're are selling it like it's a final / perfect product and world isn't changing. (BTW how old is this new TI2 line, anyway it's years...?)

For comparison, swedish company Clavia (similarly quite small) is costantly developing and releasing a new models and updates to their current product line. It's not that every new model (like newest Nord Piano 4) is substantially whole new product compared to earlier model (Nord Piano 3), it's just a some updates here and there and most of them are quite small. But anyway it keeps the business going and a promotes feeling that they are moving forward. With Access we have total opposite; in every aspect this company communicates kind of a stagnation; nothing is developing (same product, web site is dead, no talk on the synth forums...). TI2 is a great synth but I believe every user have kind of a strange feeling of having a dead product in their hands. Everything is developing - computers are faster, digital synths have more power, connectivity and memory, but Virus is just like it was years ago.... I am just very amazed about this.

• they're are selling it like it's a final / perfect product and world isn't changing.

The same could be said about the violin, or a Stratocaster. Or the Minimoog.

Personally, I prefer that behavior over a company (like Clavia, and many others), who try to sell me a new 3kEur keyboard every other year, just because it has a new feature (that was deliberately omitted in the previous model).

Back to the Valkyrie: I watched more demos and although it is a nice, probably very good sounding synth, it's actually pretty boring and based on the same old concepts everybody else has been doing for years or even decades. And except for the raw processing power, number of oscillators and more elaborate FM synthesis, there's many things it cannot do which are already available in the Virus for years like Graintable Osc, Formant Osc, many Chorus types, many Distortion types, Filterbank filters (Formant, Comb), etc.

I would love to see that kind of processing power (1280 voices, 32 times oversampling) in a new Virus incarnation, but I wouldn't want to lose any of the current features.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• The same could be said about the violin, or a Stratocaster. Or the Minimoog.

Personally, I prefer that behavior over a company (like Clavia, and many others), who try to sell me a new 3kEur keyboard every other year, just because it has a new feature (that was deliberately omitted in the previous model).

Disagree. Virus TI2 isn't that much like violin or Stratocaster or even Moog. It's a VA-synth which is supposed to work with constantly evolving world of computers and DAWs. About Clavia's business model: It's true that all those updates aren't very interesting for a user already having their earlier model. But it's little bit unfair (or even paranoid) to argue that they deliberately omit features that will be "new" in next model. Anyway it's customers choise to buy or stay with model he allready has. Still it's better business model to develope things and make a strong future oriented brand. This is what I've long been worried about Access. True or not but I can't help wondering that they are deliberately running down their business. No development, promoting or anything, just selling as long as there's some market left. Hopefully I am wrong. But if there's something happening, they are good to keep it secret. And if so, I don't think it's very wise way to do business. It's been years like that. It's only this Marc who (sometimes with little negative tone) tries to defend their lack of interest. Like "Virus is perfect, problems with TI are with incompetent users with bad computers!". Sorry to sound negative, but this is my impression which I have. Anyway I love my TI2 with its imperfections. I am just amazed that Access, really pioneer in its field, did choose this way...

• Ok, let's try some thought experiement:

If the Valkyrie, exactly as it is, was actually released by Access, labelled as Virus TI3 and sold for the same price as the current TI2:
    - would you rave about it and be happy?
    - would you rush out and buy it?

(and to play devil's advocate.... "why not?!")

• No to both, since I have an investment in Virus patches. If it could load Virus patches and sound the same (i.e. pretty-much a clone), I might be interested when my Virus started to keel over.

I'm not in the market for yet another digital synth at the minute.

• This, on the other hand, is actually a quite innovative hardware synth:

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• Reviving this thread... for those that followed NAMM 2019, waldorf did release the Kyra (valkery), do you guys still think it's a spiritual successor to Ti2? To me, it doesn't sound like a virus or how I imagined a TI3 would sound like, but it has a lot similar characteristics/specs to the TI series...

• Waldorf... hm. To my understanding, Kyra is still a prototype. And the Blofeld is still in beta... 8o