More Wavetable Explorations

• Hello all!,
    Those of you with Blofelds may know that seven of its wavetables are "composite" wavetables - collections of unrelated spectral waves from other regular wavetables - that are great resources to check when looking for that perfect single wave for a patch you're creating. (They are the 2 Alts, the 4 Wavetrips, and the famous PPG Upper Waves.)
    Although the Virus TI apparently has no intentionally composite wavetables, I found seven in its comprehensive arsenal that could pass for pseudo-composite tables - again, collections of seemingly unrelated and diverse spectral waves, and great places to check when you can't find exactly what you're looking for in the TI's proper Spectral Waves selection. They are:
    Finger Bass
    HP Love
    Sawsalito
    SportReport
    Metal Guru
    Robotix
    Spangly

(Your mileage may vary)

Hope this perspective can help in your programming research! :)
    Cheers!

• Fair play , was thinking of getting second had pulse and Blofeld for complimenting/layering in Uniform to some gritty waveshape modulation from the virus ...

Think pulse 2 , Blofeld and TI would make a decent trinity ?

I’d plan on stacking the pulse and Blofeld as one entity, then introduce em in unision to the virus ..

I aim for a sound that can manipulate matter

• Hello everyone!,

Though this forum's posts seem to be more about maintenance issues these days, after perusing my own older posts with discussions about the TI2's abilities which I do so enjoy, I discovered a list in the original post of this short thread that I never followed through with an update, now that I have long since become much more familiar with the wavetables, as I did with my humbly ;) submitted lists of personal favorite wavetables for choir patches or for finding basic analog waves to use for the PM or PWM wavetable functions, found in another one of my posts. Wavetable Categorization Essay and Chart - Share your tips and tricks - Access Virus Forum

So, addressing the list above regarding wavetables that contain an assortment of seemingly unrelated waves better suited for being simply banks of single cycle waveforms from which to choose (instead of index modulating), ala the TI's own dedicated Spectral Wave selection, here now for those still interested is that list's revised version:

Sine

SportReport (a favorite)

the 3 Sundial wavetables (1 and 2 are favorites)

the 2 Clipdial wavetables (1 is a favorite)

TableDance (another favorite)

and a table of bell-themed but still unrelated waves (also a favorite):

Metal Guru

Wavetables in the old list not included in this new list were found to be usable after all with the various regular index modulation applications.

Anyone still feeling inclined to participate in a discussion like this would be most welcomed and appreciated! I do miss the "good 'ol days"! :)

Cheers!,

GES

Presented by

Rapturenaut Digital Christian Studio

Houston, Texas

"glorifying God through electronic music"

• So… hoe do you use these Wavetables? I guess setting Interpolation to zero is the first step, but then?

I am intrigued to learn about this approach since it could open up sound capabilities I haven’t thought of before.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• So… hoe do you use these Wavetables? I guess setting Interpolation to zero is the first step, but then?

There's actually not much to it. Set the interpolation value to the degree you want the waves in the table to be blended, 127 if you want to hear the individual waves that make up the table each by themselves. Then manually sweep through the index to look for a wave that's sounds interesting to you to use as the oscillator's assigned wave, and then continue with your normal processing in constructing a patch, such as incorporating the other oscillators, filtering, envelopes, effects, etc. It's just like choosing a wave to use from the Classic Mode's Spectral Wave selection.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, a single wave that contains lots of harmonics can be used all by itself to make a nice evolving wavetable-like pad by modulating a bandpass filter with a tri-wave bipolar LFO in poly mode. I always add dual unison with some detuning and stereo spread to lush it up. I'm sure there must be other applications - using the arpeggiator somehow, or filter modulations with a S&H LFO, or an envelope, etc.

I'm not saying that there will always be sonically interesting single waves to be found in the tables I've listed for this use, only that these tables don't appear to me to be useful for anything but single wave selection. Actually, any of the TI's 100 wavetables can be candidates for finding interesting single waves using the coarse interpolation/manual index scan approach. Don't forget of course, the Sine table is made up of only one sine wave.

I am intrigued to learn about this approach since it could open up sound capabilities I haven’t thought of before.

I'm so glad you're interested! :)

Cheers!

GES

• Thanks for the explanation! It’s close to what I imagined, just forgot which way the interpolation value works. Haven’t done any sound design on the Virus for almost a year. Have to find my way back into that ;).

Why do you prefer to use that Sine wavetable compared to the standard virtual analog Oscillator? Other features of the Wavetable Oscillators?

I think I once used it for FM because it allows a different FM mode IIRC.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Haven’t done any sound design on the Virus for almost a year. Have to find my way back into that

Likewise! I’ve been preoccupied with home repair projects myself for several months now. Slowly getting back to working in my studio….

Why do you prefer to use that Sine wavetable compared to the standard virtual analog Oscillator? Other features of the Wavetable Oscillators?

Exactly! Osc 2 Wavetable Mode has the PM carrier function, so I assumed Access’s reason for the Sine table was mostly for doing 2-operator, DX style tones which can be fun. Of course, the Wave Shaper in Filter sats can give you very similar results, too. Otherwise, I almost never use sine waves!

I think I once used it for FM because it allows a different FM mode IIRC.

Yes, Osc 2 Wavetable Mode has a choice of FM (not a big fan but glad it’s there) or the PM function. Osc 2 Classic Mode gives you only FM ability but with a choice of modulator sources from Osc 1.

I’m sure you’re already familiar with of all of this, and I hope you don’t mind my reiteration! :)