Shift Button Conundrum

• Hi all,
    I'm sure many of you have experienced the frustration of trying to hold down the shift button and turning a knob while holding down some keys to hear what you're adjusting - all at the same time! Unless you are like the Martian in this Twilight Zone YouTube clip, I wonder if there is a workaround for the TI2? Controlling the shift function with a foot pedal would be nice, or how about a latching shift button? ^^ (BTW, the Venusian's final comment in the vid fits this post so well its just too funny!)

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• Out of the box thinking: Latch the keys using a hold pedal, the latch mode (Mode HOLD) or run the arpeggiator (ARP HOLD).

Or use an external sequencer or DAW. I like to do sound design within a song in Cubase or run Virus Control in Apple Main Stage.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Out of the box thinking: Latch the keys using a hold pedal, the latch mode (Mode HOLD) or run the arpeggiator (ARP HOLD).

Great ideas, Oli! And such simple, obvious workarounds! I definitely gotta get out of my box more! Thank you!!

• I was staring at this post for like 10 minutes, then turned on my virus to try out what you guys were talking about and would still not understand, then it hit me that you must be talking about the shift key of the keyboard we type with and not the shift button of the virus...(sigh) I feel so stupid but I shall excuse myself; it's been a really shitty and tiring day at work :)

GESchwalm, you could also try a solution like an on-screen keyboard that works with the mouse, for example Free Virtual Keyboard (just google & download), this one is also re-sizable and the shift button stays pressed with a single click :)

• I was staring at this post for like 10 minutes, then turned on my virus to try out what you guys were talking about and would still not understand, then it hit me that you must be talking about the shift key of the keyboard we type with and not the shift button of the virus...(sigh) I feel so stupid but I shall excuse myself; it's been a really shitty and tiring day at work

Well, I actually am talking about the shift button on my TI2 Desktop (standalone mode), not on a typing keyboard! Just try holding down the shift button and adjusting Sustain Slope, while hitting keys on your controller board to hear the changes on the fly with only two hands. Makes you wish momentarily that you were like the Martian sitting at the counter in the video!
    Thank you for your suggestions! Hope you feel better! :D

• well...does the audition button help?
    If you go first shift+twist sustain slope knob and then hit the audition button, you can still edit sustain slope while auditioning your sound.

That is a GREAT idea!! And the Audition button will latch, too! Never realized you could edit in Audition mode! Thanks psylence! ^^

• Audition button, indeed!

But this is why I stopped using that:
    [BUG] TI OS 5.1.3.0 - Freeze while auditioning patch

I find it pretty frustrating when the Virus crashes in the middle of a sound design session.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Audition button, indeed!

But this is why I stopped using that:
    [BUG] TI OS 5.1.3.0 - Freeze while auditioning patch

Thanks for the reminder, Oli! Will have to be careful not to change octaves or patches while in Audition latch mode! Luckily, I will only be needing it to edit parameters that are accessed with the shift button.

(UPDATE!! Just noticed Shift button parameters can also be accessed and edited needing only a soft knob when the respective page is pulled up on the display instead of using the shift button, leaving one hand free for the keys.)