Parabolic Waveshaper

• Although we already have many different distortion options (thank you, Access!), including several Waveshapers (Soft, Hard, Sine, Tri, Saw), I'd love to see the equivalent of the Massiv Parabolic Shaper added to the list of Waveshapers. If possible not only as a Distortion option, but also as a drive option for Filter 1.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Although we already have many different distortion options

(Too many?) :D

but also as a drive option for Filter 1.

That'd be nice! But isn't a sine wave (like in the shapers we have) similar enough to approximate a parabola? Then how about a shape-able sine shaper similar to the LFO wave contour parameter but also capable of a parabola? :)

• (Too many?) :D

There's no such thing as too many distortion options!! :D

That'd be nice! But isn't a sine wave (like in the shapers we have) similar enough to approximate a parabola?

Not quite. The functions themselves are very different in character (polynomial vs. sinusoid). Even if you look within Massive, it offers a Parabolic Shaper and a Sine Shaper, and the sound is quite different as well. I did a couple of experiments using an oscilloscope last night and found that Massive's Parabolic Shaper acts similar (but not identical) to the different tube distortions offered in its FX section. In general it shapes the signal into a square wave with more or less rounded edges depending on the drive setting.

Hence the Virus' Soft Shaper and Wide/Soft/Medium distortions get closer than the Sine Shaper. But they sound either less distorted, or they get harsh.

Then how about a shape-able sine shaper similar to the LFO wave contour parameter but also capable of a parabola? :)

The way to go would be to allow mathematical definition of the shaper function. But that's impossible on the hardware and would probably mean you'd need to run Mathematica on the Virus. ;)

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon () aus folgendem Grund: eradicated redundant double negation negation

• The functions themselves are very different in character (polynomial vs. sinusoid).

Ok, now you got me researching the polynomial properties of parabolic waves vs. sinusoidal trigonometry functions and how, though they may look similar, they do indeed have different results on wave shaping! This is a dimension I never really considered before! Thank you Oli for the inspiration! ^^