Anyone tried Virus on MacOS Mojave yet?

• Ableton 10.png

At iMac I have: port 1 RME, port 2 Virus TI2, port 3 Analog Rytm MKII, port 4 Hub USB 7 inputs (cheap) all full.

MacBook (USB-C) Apple adapter USB-C to USB (work pefectly) and _or Elektron Overhub (work perfectly).

From the first moment everything has worked well.

I have never had any problem.

• From the first moment everything has worked well.

I have never had any problem.

Then you can consider yourself lucky! Ever since swapping my Komplete Audio 6 (USB 2) for an REME UFX+ (USB 3) and adding an SE-02, Elektron A4 MkII, Elektron Machinedrum via Elektron Midi Interface to my USB setup, I had all sorts of problems, namely random devices not being accessible (Virus TI not found, Cubase eLicenser not found, Blofeld not found, SE-02 not found). Changing USB ports and hubs didn’t really help. Rather nerve wrecking. After finding out that my 2013 MacBook Pro offers only a single USB 2.0 bus and only one DisplayPort/Thunderbolt port, I searched for a Thunderbolt 2.0 dock (hard to find these days!). Found a used Belkin Thunderbolt 2 Express Dock, hooked everything up (monitor and two Exsys USB 3.0 MTT hubs with all instruments, dongles, interface attached) and haven’t seen a problem ever since!

Thus, one important information would be how many USB 2.0 buses your iMac provides, i.e. whether every USB port is on a seperate bus.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• namely random devices not being accessible (Virus TI not found, Cubase eLicenser not found, Blofeld not found, SE-02 not found). Changing USB ports and hubs didn’t really help.

that's usually an electrical problem, in other words not enough current. i can't point you towards an item in the list but you need to make sure that all hubs and all devices connected to the hubs have enough energy. otherwise you'll see device disappearing randomly. you also should find traces in the various macOS logs for the disconnects.

• that's usually an electrical problem, in other words not enough current. i can't point you towards an item in the list but you need to make sure that all hubs and all devices connected to the hubs have enough energy. otherwise you'll see device disappearing randomly. you also should find traces in the various macOS logs for the disconnects.

Thanks for giving this a thought and bringing up an interesting aspect!

The USB 3.0 hubs to which all the devices are connected are all powered, and most of the connected devices are not powered via USB or draw very little current (Cubase eLicenser, iLok, Maschine, USB 3 Stick). So, that should not be a problem. Also, the devices did not disconnect on the fly, they were not visible right from the start of the MacBook. I had the impression as if there was an upper limit of about 10 devices that could be used on the USB 2.0 bus.

So, why would the power delivery/consumption/stability be different when the (powered) hubs are connected to the Thundebolt dock instead of directly to the MacBook? Could that indicate the MacBook's USB bus power delivery is broken?

I will check the logs and the USB power consumption of all connected devices.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• However...... I did get a notice on the Mac today saying that the Virus Ti MIDI Driver is 32 bit and so it won't work after the next macOS update... this is worrying! So, what's the latest news about a full 64 bit macOS version of the Virus Ti2 software please? Thanks.

EDIT: It appears that the /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/de.access-music.virus_ti.plugin/Contents/MacOS/de.access-music.virus_ti - is 32 bit and also the /Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/Virus TI MIDI Driver.plugin/Contents/MacOS/Virus TI MIDI Driver as part of the MIDIServer process is also 32 bit.

Mark? Can you advise please Sir? Thanks man.

This was written 1 year ago and the latest release 5.1.7 is from 2017.

So, I suppose this means that in addition to VCC, there is no longer USB Midi support in macOS 10.15, correct ?