Drop note on block chord

• This is my first experience on Virus TI Desktop (v5.1.7).
    I get the Virus for live use. No PC. No sync. No Clock. Only a master keyboard to play with.
    When I trig a block chord, from 5 to 6 note at same time a ear a click and note are dropped.
    I' m sure not for polyphony limits. Playing the notes one by one, like arpeggios with pedal, this problem does not happen.
    So I think is the simultaneity.

Can anyone help me to solve this? Plaese.

• Does this happen on all patches or just certain ones? Certain parameters in patches are real polyphony eaters. The "patch complexity meter" on the synth screen will give an indication of this. Check the manual for info about conserving polyphony. However, not sure about the "click" you mention.

Cheers! :)

• Check out the threads Pushing polyphony!, TI Desktop losing voices and Tips for getting more voices out of your Virus Ti (or Ti2).

Contains a bunch of information related to how the Virus handles polyphony and sound complexity. There's also a chapter about that topic in the manual. While it may sound boring at first, it's quite interesting read when confronted with note stealing.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Hello,

I can agree with you about polyphony limit reasons, but:

In my experiece, devices which goes out of polyphony tend to lose notes as specified by priority rules.

(My) Virus TI Desktop emits a clic noise, when triggering chords. Particularly on fm Patches.

Is this a common behavior?

Thanks

• On the Virus TI, you don't have real "voices" but a limited amount of DSP calculation power. Therefore, in my experience, the Virus may lose voices, but it also can happen that the sound is calculated less accurately.

It seems to depend on how predictable the required calculation power for a sound is and how much has to be calculated at exactly the same time (e.g. sequenced note events). Thus modulation from envelopes may have an impact on calculation complexity. And FM seems to be impacted by that pretty prominently. Check out my post here Polyphony, DSP

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Ok. I understand.

It would be usefull an option to force a maximum polyphony per patch like in most VST.

The Virus behavior can be very annoying in live session with unpredictable noisy drop notes.

Thanks

• What I found very helpful is to change all patches, which are used to play single note lines (basses, leads) to monophonic.

However, just to make sure your Virus works properly:

- What exact model do you have (Desktop TI1 or TI2)?

- What mode is your Virus in (Single, Multi, Seq)?

- If you are experienceing this with factory preset, please post the preset name and bank location

- If it is a sound you made, maybe you could uploaded it here in an empty bank so we could check it out

- Maybe you could upload an audio example of the problem to soundcloud

Given this information, forum members could check out whether they experience the same behavior.

• Hi, is a desktop TI1.

There is a patch in default library named DX-Files (if I remember well) which drops notes on 4/5 voices chords.

Probably is a very polyphony hungry patch.

For me, the worrying thing is not the polyphony limit but the way how the Virus react to that.

Thanks

• Ok. Found the patch. DX-File HS (ROM C 027 or G 041). On my TI2 it does distort a bit when playing chords with many notes (e.g. 6-7) with high velocity and especially with increased release time. It seems that the gain of the Ring Modulation plus FM plus bass EQ sends it into clipping. However, it does not steal any notes. Also, the CPU load indicator is only two to three bars, so it's quite easy on the CPU.

In that case, I'd contact Access support.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon () aus folgendem Grund: Fix preset numbers.

• hey,

i had similar events with other presets and found a solution for me.

1.) as oliAtBass wrote in comment #7 - change to monophonic if there is no need for poly

2.) avoid to long tails/release or overlapping notes (for example bass and percusions...)

3.) no use of the virus ti reverb (uses much cpu power)

4.) i made an "-Init-" patch that is very minimal (all dials, routings, etc. are 0 or empty) to start from that state

5.) keep your presets as clean as possible (avoid unnecessary routings and settings)

6.) limit the number of tracks/slots you use simultaneously (in my case i use max. 4)