Filter Cutoff modulation

• Hello again,

after being a virus user for almost a week, i'm still high on its massive Saw Waves and the hardware handling :love: i worked a lot with sylenth1 in the past and started to reproduce certain sounds i did there to get used to the different work flow. Did a Trance Bass today which was amazing to do until I got stuck.

In Sylenth I used 2 "Mod.Envelopes" assigned to a single Filter CutOff to shape the bassline in the final form but with Virus i didn't achieve something like this until now.

In the Matrix Section i found similar modulation options but they were triggered by velocity instead of "dry/wet" kind of knob on sylenth were i also was able to create 2 individual ADSR envelopes modulating the Filter CutOff. Is there anything i can do that way with the virus ?

Hope I explained my issue understandable :|

cheers

• Interesting idea to use two different Envelopes for the filter cutoff... never thought of that, but it makes sense! 8)

Don't know whether you already tried that, but you can use the Filter Envelope as your first envelope and then Env3 (or Env4) as your second envelope. In the Mod Matrix, use Envelope 3 as modulation source for one of the Matrix Slots. Then set one of the destinations to Filter 1 Cutoff and set the amount as desired. Now you have both Envelopes controlling your Filter 1 Cutoff.

I don't know Sylenth, so this answer may not cover your question.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Moog Sub 37 | Blofeld | Machinedrum | Monomachine | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS X 10.14.6 (Mojave) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete 12 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Then I think my answer above applies fully.

MOD ENV1 --> Filter Envelope, which is already hard wired to control the Filter Cutoff via amount

MOD ENV2 --> Envelope 3 in Mod Matrix (e.g. Slot 2) as Source, Filter 1/2 Cutoff as Destination via amount

HTH

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Moog Sub 37 | Blofeld | Machinedrum | Monomachine | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS X 10.14.6 (Mojave) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete 12 | RME Fireface UFX+

• hey :)

something like this?

Access Virus Ti2 - Psytrance Multipatch

very different from my approach but really interesting :huh: so you did each track on virus (kick, drums, bass, fx) ? In fact bassline seems to be similar to the one i get out of virus after practicing a while. Sounds like you pitched the Osc. down for 1 octave, is there any other option then hit the "transpose" button on the hardware? The location of these buttons made me think that it is not possible to transpose each Osc. for itself, but being a virus newbie i just started to dig in its user interface / layout ^^

• yes, I used 4 tracks/parts/slots of the Virus ti. all sounds are coming straight out from the virus ti with no use of fx from ableton. (triggerd by midi clips from ableton) I used to made the presets so minimal as I could to save cpu power of the virus ti ;)

for the filter cutoff modulation (baseline) i used the ENV AMT in the Filter Section that is default linked to the Filter Envelope - to keep it simple ;)

no matrix routing needed for this.

for the baseline I used only one osc (you can pitch each osc with the "Semi Tone" knob) - osc balance all to left for osc1 in this patch.

kick and bass are running at the the same note, fx and hihats are from the virus ti too - a simple multipatch, all in one take ;)

If needed I would upload the patches I have made

• yesterday i discovered the Aux Envelopes in the Matrix and they may be exactly what i'm looking for, so is it possible to assign two aux envelopes to the filter cut off ? would map both aux env decays and env amt parameters e.g. as makro on an instrument rack. using sylenth this is very nice to do :)

in addition heres a sample of my latest bassline made by virus, isn't that bad but can sure get better :thumbup:

https://www26.zippyshare.com/v/d7Lp2bRI/file.html