Virus TI2 Desktop causes coil whine in 2018 Mac Mini

• Whenever I connect my Virus TI2 Desktop to my brand new 2018 Mac Mini it causes some sort of coil whine with a peak around 4000hz. It does not matter if I connect the virus to a normal USB port, or one of it's USB C ports using a converter. Even when connecting it to my (passive) USB or one my screen's USB ports hub gives me the same annoying whine around 4000hz.

This sound disappears when I turn off the virus. Does this have something do with the Virus and the Mac Mini having different grounds? I am using the original AC/DC converter from Access.

Are there any known ways to fix this problem?

• Where does the sound come from? The Mac's speakers? Virus Headphone out, analog out? Can you change its loudness with the volume control?

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Where does the sound come from? The Mac's speakers? Virus Headphone out, analog out? Can you change its loudness with the volume control?

It's not coming the Mac's speakers, I've already checked. It's coming from the USB port and you only hear it when the Virus is connected. I'm on my 3rd Mac mini 2018 now (had to exchange due to bluetooth problems) and this one still gives me the coil whine.

• It's not coming the Mac's speakers, I've already checked. It's coming from the USB port and you only hear it when the Virus is connected. I'm on my 3rd Mac mini 2018 now (had to exchange due to bluetooth problems) and this one still gives me the coil whine.

The sound comes from the USB port?! So the USB port „sings“? Doesn’t make any sense to me...

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• The sound comes from the USB port?! So the USB port „sings“? Doesn’t make any sense to me...

i know this on ethernet ports, not explicit on mac but on some mainboards.

it is called "coil whine" - see yt video below

i found this on google: Mac mini Late 2018 - new mac mini makes a constant electrical noise..

or this

"You are dealing with a capacitor that is likely going to fail soon. No amount of white noise will be able to get rid of this sound being that the frequency is so high (most people can't even hear it). Unfortunately if this is your on-board NIC you may have other problems ahead when this does fail, it could take down that entire section of your motherboard which probably includes Firewire and Serial (including USB). "

• Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• i know this on ethernet ports, not explicit on mac but on some mainboards.

it is called "coil whine" - see yt video below

i found this on google: Mac mini Late 2018: The new mac mini makes a constant electrical noise..

Thank you very much for the video link, that was quite interesting!

Your other link points back to this thread... not sure whether you wanted to link to this ycombinator thread.

Given the explanation in the video which relates to graphic cards especially, it seems to me that the problem of the OP may or may not be "coil whine": Just connecting the Virus TI to the USB port should not put any additional load on the CPU or GPU. However, if it's related to the USB board/circuitry, it should be possible to isolate the issue to the Mac or the Virus by doing a couple of tests:

• connect the Virus to an active hub without connecting the hub to the Mac
    • use a long USB cable in between the Mac and the Virus so that you can have a door in between them for sonic isolation
    • connecting the Virus to a different Mac

Anyway, if that was a common issue with the Virus TI, it would most probably be all over the internet.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon () aus folgendem Grund: Fix link. Add cable.