Using multi in TC to layer baselines

• Simple tip if your into the whole layering basslines etc ... (can do this with anything , but tip involving the 3 band eq)

Take advantage of the on board Eq , and use the multitimbral to you advantage , meaning you can layer bass and kick sounds into 2 or 3 parts to your liking ...

Use the eq to knock out the low end for your mid bass and combine the 2/3 parts together to make one beefy solid patch

Could do this with arps , using 3 parts of the multi ... one part playing first 4 sections , whilst the 2nd part plays the next section and so on , weird and crazy sequences could be made using several parts of the multi at the same time etc

Too many Questions with little answers in this section ; this is the tricks and tips bit I believe , so share em ! Re-evolve em

Possibilities

• Regarding FX, the question is what the intended use is. If you're working in a DAW anyway, then there's plenty of creative options at much lower cost than high end hardware. Also, depending on the type of effects (Delays, Reverbs), you may want to add/control/automate them at the mixing stage, so again it can all be handled within the DAW. If you're looking into live playing, then the question is how to handle different sounds (Parts) from a Multi with a single FX unit. You'll probably want at least a Dual FX engine (e.g. like some TC Electronic Multi FX offer) wich can be fed with two different inputs.

My personal experience with the Virus is, that I've yet to come across a situation where the onboard FX (and the provided flexibility) is not sufficient for my sound design needs. Actually, I've already used a the FX of the Virus for other synths/sounds and did a setup where I can send the send chanels of a line mixer to the Input of the Virus for effects.

Some effects that could be useful might be:

- a multi tap delay which allows you to programm rythmic delays (e.g. TC 2240, TC D-Two)

- a really great reverb to get those incredibly lush rooms

- something like a chaos pad to dynamically manipulate and totally destroy sounds

Don't know whether this is helpful, but maybe it gives you some ideas.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon () aus folgendem Grund: typos

• The Virus can be used as an Outboard effects unit as well. Just set one of the multis up as an input channel, set it to another USB audio output and route audio back in to the corresponding input device in Virus Control.

• Thanks for those insights oli , totally forgot about Korgs chaos pads , yes more for performance and some deep sound design enriched in super modulated spaces .... I’m getting tired of mouse and sound smearing when I try to combine complex chains

Toxter - aware of using the virus as external FX , cheers all the same as others may not be .

I just wanted to know what makes the H8000 so special , I’m after some serious 3d sense of space that is of ultra high quality , I’ve tried DrMs , Altiverb and others

Altiverb is a impulse winner , but when ever I start to chain complex fx along with it , the sound soon starts to get smeared though , I’ve heard the h8000 can deal with complex chains

As for mixing processors , the Vertigo VSM-3 is now in software form .... could we say this sounds better or worse than its few grand counterpart hardware for treating your sound ...

Is software taking over everything , and sound quality being of the same ...

Or could it simply be 96k over 44 makes all the difference , trouble is setting your DAW to 96 eats up cpu , but blending complex FX chains sound super good and this is not possible when using virus , then again not there’s no need since it sounds great

Instead of investing in the H8000 , maybe a high end computer capable of running Nebula programs , the new range over there is quite aswome ....

Sound quality is a big deal for me , I don’t see how running a 1300 synth into a plugin that cost 30 qid does it justice ... and as for vst plugin synths , none have come close to the sound of the virus , this is no fan boy remark but someone that’s spend a decade on and off with vst synth , so regarding fx units , I wana know if any come close to plugins and what makes them different if not the same

Hope that makes sense , I’ve turned this into more of questions than I have tip sharing , I apologise .

• Regarding the Hardware vs Software debate: Except for analogue gear, any digital hardware (and most delays and reverbs are digital) is in general just a very specialized computer dedicated to run certain software code. So, if you take the algorithms of that software and run it on a different computer, it doesn't make any difference at all from a sound processing perspective. What makes a difference is the amount of CPU power (which todays computers are much better than those glorified 80's and 90's FX processors), the available internal resolution for calculation (bit depth is probably more important than sample rate) and the input and output stages including the AD/DA convertion. Plugins don't have to do anything regarding input/output because everything is in the digital domain.

And that is where IMO the magic of the harware happens: The original digital signal from your DAW or Virus is going to a DA conversion (sound card), and output amplifier (sound card), an input amplifier (FX unit), AD conversion (FX unit), processing (FX unit), DA conversion (FX unit), an output amplifier (FX unit), an input amplifier (sound card) and another AD conversion (sound card) until it comes back into your DAW. There's definitely going to happen some sort of colouration and phase shifting to your effected signal. Which is quite different from applying the pure FX algorithm directly to the original digital representation of your signal.

It all comes down to whether one way or another suits your workflow and sounds good to you.

Sorry to be unable to offer better help on this, but I'm mostly working "in the box" except for microphones, guitar amps and hardware synths. I totally love "Total Recall" within the DAW and that was a huge selling point for the Virus TI and the Moog Sub 37 for me. A couple of years ago, I decided to go with Slate Digital plugins to get some of the hardware "mojo", and I'm still happy with that. Frankly, I don't care how close the modelling is to any real studio gear, all that matters to me is whether I can create a sound I like with them.

If it did matter to me whether the plugin emulates the hardware, I'd get the hardware instead and not look back.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+