Help plz with Arp Note Send and DAW

• Hi all,

This is my first post, and I'm new to the forum. Still learning its ways so if this is solved elsewhere I'm sorry to be redundant (I saw posts relating to it, but not solved). I'm using Ableton 10 on a PC with the Virus TI 2 controlled by the plugin. I'm trying to record an arpeggiated melody to Ableton's sequencer for editing, but when I turn on Arp Note Send in the config menu and bunch of strange things happen. First, the arpeggio (when on HOLD mode, or held down manually) might play once through, but will then start repeating just one note in the sequence, rendering the term "arpeggio" sadly inaccurate. Second, when I play chord changes the sequencer in Ableton tries to record the chords as well as the the note sfrom Arp Send, which makes things extra dysfunctional. What's going on here? Is there a way to disable the keyboard sending notes and have the virus only send the Arp info? I don't know if MIDI settings apply since the signal is going through the usb... Please help! Thanks :)

• IMO the Arpeggiator is not intended to be used that way.

Some time back I recorded the basic ARP rythms into Cubase and found that the timing was pretty sloppy and note lenghts inconsistent (for a machine). I was then hinted that the ARP MIDI note send implementation is rather experimental.

I found that working with a DAW, it‘s easier and more accurate to create/draw the arpeggios as sequences within the DAW. But I know, you miss all the inspiration a cool ARP can acheive...

Check out these threads:

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• Thanks for the reply. It looks like the feature was implemented over a decade ago, so the fact that they didn't either fix or remove it is a little disappointing. It would be really great if it worked... Do you know if there is a way to prevent Midi info being sent from the keyboard?

• This is a kind reply from Access Support regarding this problem. Very clear and helpful:

"The issue here is that you need to avoid causing a Midi loop, which is not very easy when you need to send triggering Midi notes to the TI and you want to record the arpeggiator notes at the same time. The only way to do this is this:

• you need to record the incoming Midi notes from the Virus TI to a Midi track that is not connected to anything at this point!

• in other words you need to generate a Midi track in Ableton Live that is not routed to any Midi port whatsoever - this also needs to be the only Midi track that is recording at the point you want to record the Midi notes coming from the TI

• additionally I recommend to record the chords you want to use for the TIs arpeggiator onto its Midi track without recording the arpeggiator, and then play this track back again when you want to record the arpeggiator pattern, not trying to do this at the same time

• doing this in "realtime" so while playing Midi notes on the master keyboard (even if this is the TI itself) while recording the live outcome often leads to Midi loops, which is the issue here

• keep in mind that the TI2 Polar when used with the TI plugin and in Ableton Live basically is divided into two pieces of gear: 1) its midi keyboard serves as master keyboard for your setup, 2) its sound engine is triggered via Ableton Live like any other plugin inside of Ableton Live

I hope this helps.

With best regards,

Access Music Support"

After all that I found that using Ableton's native arpeggiator can achieve much the same effect (arp note send) with a bit less hassle, albeit without the step sequencer. Thanks again to Access Support for being so awesome!

• Nalij thanks for sharing!

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+