Aftertouch transmission issue

• I am connecting my Virus TI Keyboard via MIDI cables to my other equipment.

I noticed an apparent lack of aftertouch MIDI data when in multi mode.

I then determined the following using a MIDI data monitor:

When in single mode the Virus transmits aftertouch data correctly.

When in multi mode, the Virus only transmits aftertouch values of zero.

Edit:

To exhibit this behaviour, the Config | Keyboard (1/5) | Mode setting must be set to multi-channel.

Many thanks

• That's definitely not normal behavior.

What's the OS Version of your TI?

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Confirmed.

Same thing happens on my Darkstar.

However, I have no idea what the Config > Keyboard 1/5 > Mode setting does.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Thanks for confirming.

If you are interested, that setting changes how the keyboard controls the sounds. Multi-channel controls all the channels that are enabled at the same time(!). Single mode means the keyboard will control only the current channel.

Multi-channel is great for layering and splitting or both.

• Multi-channel is great for layering and splitting or both.

Thank you for the explanation.

FYI, I was able to do layers and splits without knowing that setting.

AFAIR, the behavior is that the part(s) with the same channel as the selected part, or with the highest channel within the same keyrange, are controlled by the keyboard. Thus it‘s easiest to set all parts to the same channel and do your splits via keyrange as desired.

Anyway, the missing Aftertouch values on Multichannel setting are a serious limitation if you want to use your TI as a master keyboard for other MIDI gear.

Marc is this a known issue? Is there a fix or workaround available?

• AFAIR, the behavior is that the part(s) with the same channel as the selected part, or with the highest channel within the same keyrange, are controlled by the keyboard. Thus it‘s easiest to set all parts to the same channel and do your splits via keyrange as desired.

Ha ha - yes, I am familiar with most of this behaviour - the bit about the highest channel within the same keyrange is new to me - I will have to investigate this - I can see why they couldn't describe this very well in the manual :).