Virus TI Snow: USB problems

• Hi,

I am having problems with my Virus TI Snow when connected via USB to my PC.

When I connect the Virus to ANY USB socket on my PC, it causes my RME Fireface UC (USB audio interface) to suffer from random loss of connection to my computer. The drops in connection are very short (less than a second) but they happen at seemingly random intervals but typically 1 or 2 a minute. It is as if someone has unplugged the USB cable for the RME for a very short period, then plugged it back in.

These connection drops don't accompany any other behaviour. The drops happen when nothing is happening on the machine, no DAW running, no Virus VST plugin running! As soon as I put the Virus in sleep mode, the drop outs stop.

Initially, I thought it was a compatibility issue with the Virus plugin and Cubase 10 because that was where I first experienced the problem. I would get this message at random intervals:

[Blockierte Grafik: http://www.binaryaudio.co.uk/files/ASIO.jpg]

However, testing revealed that this error would occur even when there was NO Virus Plugin being used in Cubase (no audio coming from the Virus). If the Virus was turned on, even when the Virus wasn't being used by Cubase, the error would occur. I tested this in Cubase 10, 9.5, 8.5 and even an old 32bit version of Cubase 6, as well as Ableton Live 10, all produced the same result.

I have tried un-installing/removing all Virus software and drivers, then re-installing (latest version) to numerous different USB sockets (no hub, straight connections to my ASUS X99 Deluxe USB 3.1 motherboard) but the behaviour is identical.

I have tried removing/re-installing the RME drivers, even rolling them back 2 versions, but still no good. I cannot understand it. As I said, everything was working fine until a few days ago, now the Virus is somehow causing the connection to my audio interface to be randomly lost.

No other USB devices were connected during my testing, apart form a USB mouse and keyboard (which I've been using for at least 2 years with this set up). I have never experienced anything like this with the Virus. It has performed flawlessly on this machine for the last two years. I am running out of things to try!

I am using Windows 10 64bit (latest version 1809) All software and drivers are up-to-date.