Modulating filter...

• Hi.

Today, I discovered a strange Virus TI desktop. Just launch the init preset. Play a chord. Here, if I modulate the low pass filter with an LFO, I hear the 3 notes of the chord one after the other, like if when the LFO is on its down phase, I hear the lower note, in its middle phase, the note in the middle and higher phase, the higher note !

But when I just turn the filter knob, it behaves as a low pass filter is supposed to work.

Really weird !

By modulating the filter with an envelope, the sound is normal.

Is there somebody who could try to reproduce that ? A completly diffenrent result when modulating a filter with an LFO and just by turning the filter knob ?

How can I normally modulate the filter with an LFO ?

• How can I normally modulate the filter with an LFO ?

First, make sure the LFO wave is just a sine or triangle. Also, check to see if anything else is going on such as in the LFO pre-assigned destination selections or in the Modulation Matrix.

Hope that helps! :)

• The LFO wave is sine and of course before to create this thread, I double checked any paramater the LFO could modulate in any way. Please !

Have a try on the simple init preset. I'd like to know if it behaves the same for anyone but me !

• Virus has 3 LFOs are per Voice (!), and each free runnning LFO is initialized with a different starting value.

From the Access Virus Reference, p. 54:

Mode Meaning
    Poly Each voice has its own LFO, and these are slightly detuned against each other.
    Mono All voices share a common LFO. Only applies if the parameters Envelope Mode and Trigger Phase (see below) are both set to “Off”.

To get the same LFO for every note of a chord you can either:

• Change the LFO MODE to MONO
    • Set the Trigger Phase of the LFO:
      Off, 1 to 127: When set to Off, LFO1 runs freely i.e. its phase is not reset by every note played (except in Envelope Mode). All other values set the starting point within the wave.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Yes ! Thank you, oliAtBass !! That's the info I needed ! Indeed, by setting the LFO to mono, it behaves as I wished !

I didn't even tried the mono button... I was sure it was a simple bad setting I couldn't find. Anyway... Thanks again !

Have good time ! :)