VC in Cubase - deafening white noise crash

• Been using my TI2 in Cubase for a few years now and this issue has always been around for me but seems worse in Cubase 10 Pro.

I'm running the Virus with audio over USB, Windows 10 64 bit PC. Without any warning I'm getting a deafening burst of white noise, audio clipping on Cubase outputs and MIDI signal maxed out. The peaking meters stay stuck for around 10 - 15 seconds and then suddenly stops. I use a Fireface 802 and a few seconds after the white noise stops the normal audio resumes. The white noise is at a painful volume even though the audio in Cubase is at a low level. Any ideas?

• After acquiring a brand new Virus TI2 a couple of years ago I suffered these excruciating bursts a number of times. Tried resolving the issue with the support team. Unfortunately, nothing helped.

The bursts are so intense they are very likely to impair one's hearing. What I do to circumvent the problem is I monitor the Virus through its S/PDIF outs. This is done by setting it up in Cubase as an external instrument and using the VC plug-in only for parameter control.

I switch to USB audio only when bouncing MIDI parts to audio tracks. During the bounce I do not listen to the Virus. After the capture I revert to S/PDIF.

I operate Cubase at 96kHz. This means I need to up-sample the S/PDIF outputs of the Virus for the monitoring to work. I use the RME ADI-192 DD for this.

• Thanks for your response GarsuMene , I'm relieved it isn't just me!! My concern was it is hearing damage loud. Interesting you are using an RME interface too. It is stable with MIDI and audio cables but I haven't got the plugin then so that's not ideal. My SPDIF's are optical so I can't use your fix. I'll try going back to USB and configure audio over the audio outs rather than USB.

I might have an experiment with Ice9 plugin on the Cubase outputs to set a max dB level too.

• Wow, that sounds intimidating! Fortunately I‘ve never experienced this problem with TI2 and Cubase (8 - 10 on Mac OS) in 3 years, but I recently acquired a RME UFX+ so I’m wondering...

• Are you both 100% sure the noise is from the Virus and not from the RME USB driver?
    • Does it also happen when Cubase audio runs at 44,1 kHz?

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• Been using my TI2 in Cubase for a few years now and this issue has always been around for me but seems worse in Cubase 10 Pro.

I'm running the Virus with audio over USB, Windows 10 64 bit PC. Without any warning I'm getting a deafening burst of white noise, audio clipping on Cubase outputs and MIDI signal maxed out. The peaking meters stay stuck for around 10 - 15 seconds and then suddenly stops. I use a Fireface 802 and a few seconds after the white noise stops the normal audio resumes. The white noise is at a painful volume even though the audio in Cubase is at a low level. Any ideas?

in case it happens again, lower the channel, Virus Control is instantiated on to zero - this way you can find out if the noise comes from the Virus.