Metal Gear Solid patch

• In this video, Ludvig Forssell (composer of the Metal Gear Solid V soundtrack) plays a patch created on the TI2, and I haven't been able to figure out how he did it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylXNJylHHNs&t=58m26s

Any ideas as to how he gets that "wobble" that comes in at the end? My best guess was maybe he used one of the waveforms on an LFO to modulate the amp envelope?

It's also interesting that it's "delayed" and that wobble sound only comes in at the end.

• That‘s hard to figure out with this single short sound snippet. Easiest would be to ask the man himself.

IMO the modulation is probably on the filter frequency, before distortion. Could be achieved by a waveform LFO as you said, but also by two LFO‘s interacting.

However, with this type of complex sounds it could be anything from modulating a Wavetable OSC index, FM amount, Grain Table Formant Shift or even a wave Shape Distortion amount or some interaction of any of these.

Not really helpful, I guess, but maybe a some starting points for experiments.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• patch created on the TI2, and I haven't been able to figure out how he did it:

Can you provide a link to the original track, so we can get a better impression of the sound?

It's also interesting that it's "delayed" and that wobble sound only comes in at the end.

I think it's not delayed, but the modulation is slow at the start and speeds up towards the end, but hard to say with this single short sample.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• That‘s hard to figure out with this single short sound snippet. Easiest would be to ask the man himself.

Yeah... it is a really short sample haha. It is in a couple tracks in the soundtrack, but only here and there and layered with a bunch of other sounds. It's really just used as a sound effect, so those tracks it's in make it even harder to figure out how the sound was made.

I think you're right, trying to reach out to Ludvig himself might be the best option.

Thanks for your ideas! I only have a Virus C (although thinking of getting a TI2) so might be even harder to reproduce the sound, but will try.

• It is in a couple tracks in the soundtrack, but only here and there and layered with a bunch of other sounds.

I listened to large parts oft the OST I found on youtube but wasn’t able to find it. But I think I heard it in one of the trailers. There the wobble was completely in sync with the track. Therefore I think it‘s not made with a single LFO but rather with an LFO Speed modulated by another LFO or using the Arp.

Anyway, I guess it would be hard to replicate this sound on a Virus C.

If you find out more, I‘d be very interested to know.